11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 10:44 AM by Jayson Osmars

Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions

marcel.neubauer

Dear Tableau community,

First of all thank you very much for your time and consideration. I have the following issue (I tried everything but cannot find a solution....)

I created five different worksheets to display all charts in one Dashboard.(Attached images only show 3 charts) The dashboard should have the function to be dynamic that is why I selected "use as filter" in every chart.

1. Default

2. Now if I click in the pie chart to get more detailed information of the "field" e.g number 7,142

- System automatically amend all other charts and display the correct numbers. (Until here every chart is working but you can only select one field..)

Is it possible when selecting the number 7,142 that it only displays the number 7,142 in the pie chart?

3. If I select now the left bar chart to get even more information it should amend all other charts with the selected filter (Pie chart number 7,142 and left bar chart number 4,476)

As you can see on the image it deselected the pie chart "field" and display the wrong numbers...

The correct displayed number should be 4,476 of the "Grand total" from the top chart and on the pie chart.

Any idea what I did wrong and how I can fix it ?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

Marcel

• 1. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi, Marcel

Could you share your packaged workbook(***.twbx) ?  that's much easier start point for people in the community to investigate.

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
            marcel.neubauer

Hi Shin,

I would love to share my workbook. Unfortunately, it is high confidential and I am not allowed to share.

Nevertheless, can I provide you with more information to get a better understanding on this issue?

Thank you very much that you take your time for me.

Kind regards,

Marcel

• 3. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
              khalid norat

Hi Marcel,

You need to amend the dashboard actions.

Clicking on use as filter generates a dashboard action. This can be amended from the dashboard actions menu.

When you go to this section for each action you can select which worksheets trigger the action and which worksheets it effects.

Let me know if you need more help with your actions.

If so please share screen shots of the actions currently in place and I can recommend how to fix these

• 4. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                marcel.neubauer

Hi Khalid,

Thanks for the advise. I already tried  before to change the actions but it did not work. Please see screenshots below .

Let me know if you have an idea what I did wrong.

Many thanks,

Marcel

• 5. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                  khalid norat

For each of the filters above remove the source sheet from the target section

so for the first one just untick sales month overview from the target section

Let me know if this fixes the issue for you or if you need any further assistance

• 6. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                    marcel.neubauer

Hi,

Nope.. It did not work. Same issue remain. First selection is correct and when I select a second "Field" in a different chart it gives me a total of the selected chart in all other charts..

I think the problem is that the dashboard does not filter to the already selected 'Field" as described above.

Please let me know if I can provide you with more information/

Many thanks,

Marcel

• 7. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                      khalid norat

Hi Marcel,

Not to worry,

Lets start from the beginning.

I can see 3 graphs on your dashboard but 5 actions. (what are names of the sheets on your dashboard?)

now if you can think of the user journeys and map out all possible user journeys

for example  user clicks worksheet 1 > filter worksheet 2 & 3 > user clicks on worksheet 2> filter worksheet 3

If you can tell me the different scenarios in the way shown above.

I can let you know if this is possible or you have scenarios where your actions will clash.

If there are no clashes I can show you how to set these up

• 8. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                        marcel.neubauer

Hi Khalid,

Kindly note that my dashboard contains 5 worksheets which displays 5 charts (Map and Sales Months Overview not to see on my attached images but to see on my dashboard)

Names of the sheets on the dashboard are:

-Sales Months Overview (worksheet 1)

-Model Mix - Pie Chart (worksheet 2)

-Map (worksheet 3)

-Bar Chart (worksheet 4)

-Engine Mix (worksheet 5)

I cannot write down all possible user journeys because there are too many... For instance:

user clicks worksheet 1 > filter worksheet 2,3,4,5 > user clicks on worksheet 2> filter worksheet 3,4,5> user clicks on worksheet 3> filter worksheet 4,5 user clicks on worksheet 4 > filter worksheet 5

user clicks worksheet 1 > filter worksheet 2,3,4,5 > user clicks on worksheet 3> filter worksheet 2,4,5> user clicks on worksheet 2> filter worksheet 4,5 user clicks on worksheet 4 > filter worksheet 5

user clicks worksheet 1 > filter worksheet 2,3,4,5 > user clicks on worksheet 4> filter worksheet 3,4,5> user clicks on worksheet 5> filter worksheet 2,5 user clicks on worksheet 5 > filter worksheet 2

And so on...

What I had in mind to do is that my dashboard is too 100% dynamic and you can click any worksheet and it will automatically change all other worksheets with the selected "field/filter".

The interesting part is that the first filter process is working but the second filter process output a total of all worksheets again because it does not include the filter I preselected.

If you really need all possible user journeys I will of course do it.

Again thank you that you take your time with me.

Kind regards,

Marcel

• 9. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                          khalid norat

The issue you have here is depending on the user journey and what point in their journey they click on a dashboard the filtering should work in parralell to this.

If worksheet 3 was already clicked then worksheet 2 only filters worksheet 4 & 5 else it filters worksheet 3,4&5,

there is no functionality at the moment that I know off that can ful fil this criteria.

The best way to go about this is reduce the number of sheets that need to be filtered.

One way of doing this is to set some sheets to only highlight data and not filter the data.

e.g. Rather than filtering a pie chart why not just highlight the segment of pie chart

Hope this helps you understand the complexities of what you are trying to achieve

If you can tell me which dashboards should filter and which dashboards should highlight I can help you with the actions.

• 10. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                            Rasmus Koldt Olesen

Hi Marcel,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am facing the same problem at the moment, and to me it seems there is a limit of 1 action filter per dashboard (using 10.1 here).

Best regards

Rasmus

• 11. Re: Dashboard use as filter / Multiple Actions
                              Jayson Osmars

Same here.  What steps for a resolution?

Thanks.