4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 8:21 AM by mark.welsh

Apply User Filter from Server

mark.welsh

If I need to add a user to a user filter I add them in Desktop and then re-upload my workbook.  Instead, I would like to be able to edit User Filters from Tableau Server.  Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Apply User Filter from Server
          khalid norat

You need to add users to a user group on tableau.

or Active Directory Group if you are using AD

then the user filter should be amended to user group filter.

This way you don't need to keep downloading and republishing each time you need to add or remove a person.

You either need to add them to user group on server or add them to AD group on network.

• 2. Re: Apply User Filter from Server
            mark.welsh

I have a User Group of Directors.  Each Director is assigned a Sales Area.  The dashboard contains all Sales Areas, so the user filter controls which Sales Area a Director can see. 

In this case, when I add a new Director I have to specify which Sales Area they can see.  With this setup in mind, does your scenario still apply or am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Apply User Filter from Server
              khalid norat

You will have to create individual groups for each sales area

which might be too big of a task depending on number of areas.

The other thing you can do is build in another datasource with manager names and their sales areas.

then user filter formula should basically check which user it is and filter to show only their sales area.

In other organisations I've had difficulty getting hold of a username table with up to date position and location

due to HR holding this information and all the red tape in a large organisation

• 4. Re: Apply User Filter from Server
                mark.welsh

Ok, thanks Khalid.  For now I'll continue doing it this way.  Although I think editing User Filters from Server would be a handy feature.