1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 2:06 PM by Stoyko Kostov

Conditionally Turn Filter OFF

Adam Borenstein

I have a calculated field with multiple values, which is then dragged to the filter shelf. I want to use a parameter such that when the parameter = value of choice, the filter is turned on, otherwise the filter is turned off.

How can I do this? I am having trouble formatting the language of the calculated field to accept the values I am using, some are strings and some are integers.

• 1. Re: Conditionally Turn Filter OFF
          Stoyko Kostov

Hi Adam,

You can create a Boolean parameter ApplyFilter and show it on the sheet. You also need to be able to define your filter via formula expression, i.e. [Status]='active'.

Now, drag any dimension that participates in the filter definition to the Filters card. Choose condition-by formula, and enter (<Original_filter_definition>) OR NOT [ApplyFilter].

For example, ([Status] = 'active') OR NOT [ApplyFilter].

Now when ApplyFilter is set to True, your original filter definition will drive the contents. When ApplyFilter is set to False, "OR NOT [ApplyFilter]" will evaluate to True and the original filter definition won't matter: nothing will be filtered with respect to this filter.

If you are having difficulties expressing your filter as a formula, please attach a sample packaged workbook. Maybe just a few values from the field you want to filter on, and explain what you would like to achieve.

Hope this helps!