2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 4:10 AM by Sabine Honer

Issue with worksheet as filter by using actions on dashboard

Sabine Honer

Hi All,

I hope you are doing fine.

Unfortunately I can't upload my Tableau file I am working on as it has confidential data in it.

if it is necessary I will upload a test version here with dummy data.

My issue is as follows:

I have create six worksheets, that I use as filters by using actions on dashboards ( as described here: Creating Filters with Actions on Dashboards | Tableau Software )

If I don't adjust the actions and I click on a filter other filters will show only available data records.

But sometimes there are too many action and no data is show for a worksheet that is used as a filter.

I have adjusted the actions, but now the filter displays all entries ( independent on the filter of 1 or more worksheet filters)

For example:

I have worksheets for vendor, category and subcategory.

Without adjustments if I click on a specific vendor, only the corresponding category and subcategory will be displayed.

Issue here is, that sometimes worksheet of subcategory doesn't display any entries ( because of actions, that are written to that worksheet).

With adjustements I click on a vendor and all entries for category and subcategory will be displayed.

Filter will work always as new actions will be added to worksheets.

But I would like to get only filtered lists ( like as a dependent drop down menu in excel).

Is there any way I could have the filters in a dependent way ( without losing by too many clicks the visibility of their entries)?

In case my task/issue wasn't clear, please let me know.

Best regards

Sabine