6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 8:52 AM by Ray Givler

Attriwhat?

heather.vogt

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what an Attribute is. I've done my due diligence and researched accordingly, but nothing seems to click in my brain to tell me what an attribute is in Tableau. I've read posts in the forum about them (Re: Attribute? ), but nothing makes sense to me. I still don't know what they are.

Here's what I'm seeing in my viz (screenshot below). I'd like to explain what's going on to my students, but, again, none of this is making sense in my little brain. Can someone help?

Situation: I went to Analysis>Forecast>Show forecast and got this:

forecast pre attribute.png

The gap between 2013 and 2014 is annoying (why is that even there?), so, using the pill drop-down, I changed the Forecast indicator from Dimension to Attribute. And I got this:

forecast post att.png

What did changing from Dimension to Attribute change about my viz and the data within it? It's nice this is "fixed," but I don't know the why of how it's fixed. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Attriwhat?
          swaroop.gantela

Heather,

I'll take a stab at it, hopefully others more adept on the subject can chip in.

Just to take a step back, what you're seeing in your visualization is not particularly

about forecasting, but is, as you said, fundamentally about the different behavior

of Dimensions and Attributes. Any Dimension will cause splitting of the graph,

and Aggregations, like ATTR, will not. (See the sheets "DimensionSplit", "AGGSplit", and

"SumSplit" of the attached).

I think it comes down to this statement in the Tableau help page on Aggregations:

"When you aggregate a dimension as an attribute, it is treated like a label instead of partitioning the data."

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/online/windows/en-us/help.htm#calculations_aggregation_aggregatingdata.html?Hi…

When a Dimension, like Product in your example, is placed on the color shelf, it splits up the Orders into

separate lines. But if you were to put an aggregated field, like Sum(Sales) onto the color shelf, it would

keep the line intact as one line, but the color would change along the way.

As you saw in the definition of ATTR, it involves MIN and MAX, and so it too is an aggregation.

And so, in your Forecast chart, it doesn't split up the lines, but keeps it intact and allows for the change in color.

The underlying data does not change.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Attriwhat?
            Rohin V

Pls revert

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016, Madhuri Tanniru <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

• 3. Re: Attriwhat?
              heather.vogt

Thank you so much! This is what I'm getting from your response:

ATTR (attribute) is actually an aggregation on the Forecast indicator dimension dropped into the Marks card after the forecast was created in the viz.

When you aggregate a dimension as an attribute, it becomes more of a label rather than a dimension. It isn’t used to categorize the data anymore; it just labels it—resulting here in an unbroken line. The unaggregated dimension, Product, is still categorizing the data using colors.

• 4. Re: Attriwhat?
                swaroop.gantela

Heather,

Yes, I think that sounds good.

As you said, the aggregated forecast is labelling while the unaggregated Product is categorizing.

By the way, your title for this post is great.

• 5. Re: Attriwhat?
                  heather.vogt

Thanks! I try my best. Happy Friday!

• 6. Re: Attriwhat?
                    Ray Givler

Although this has been answered, I thought it might help to provide an example where ATTR is useful.

Suppose you have denormalized data such that some of it repeates across a unique identifier for a client or customer ID. If there are flag fields of any type, you can use ATTR(flag)  to grab that repeating value. These saves you from resorting to a clunky max(flag) with a the flag being 1 or 0 and allows you to use Y/N while also having hte advantage of returning * if you have erroneous conflicting values in your supposedly fixed variable repeating within your identifier.

1 of 1 people found this helpful