2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 6:04 AM by Mallikarjun s

How to refresh my data extract(.csv files)

Mallikarjun s

Hi All,

I am receiving the File which is having incremental data,how to Automate the process for this data to be loaded into the my Report.

1) my file location is :c\Tableau_Datasource

2) my files will come like this Allegis_Daily_report_2016_07_28.csv

Allegis_Daily_report_2016_07_29.csv how it will pickup

3) one day automate process was failed next day which one it consider first file.

Can you please provide information on this.

Regards

Mallikarjun

• 1. Re: How to refresh my data extract(.csv files)
          Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

The most common issue with refreshing data sources on TS is not being directly connected to the data source that has been updated. If a workbook is uploaded to TS and is connected to a local extract or live to a local data source then the data source will be packaged with the workbook when uploaded. Refreshing the data sources on TS will connect to the packaged data source and NOT the original data source. Therefore, any changes to the original data source will NOT be seen in the workbooks.

In order to be able to refresh a data source on TS you have to first upload the data source to TS. The easiest way to do this is to publish an extract of the data source and make sure to enter the credentials to access the data base. In Tableau v9.3 you will be prompted to switch the data source to the extract on TS (Before 9.3 you have to download the extract on TS and replace the primary data source). This will automatically update the icon and the workbook will now be connected to the extract on the TS. Now when you upload the workbook to TS, if you select refresh, a connection to the database will be made and the extract will be updated, along with any workbooks connected to it.

To refresh a file that is saved on a local machine or on a shared drive you need to upload the data source to TS using the UNC path. So if the data source is saved at C:\data.xls then the UNC path will be something like \\workstation1\c$\data.xls

If you don’t use the UNC path then the extract on the server will not be refreshed and data in any connected workbooks will not be updated. You also have to replace the data source in the workbook with the extract on the server to allow the workbook to be updated by an extract created on TS.

One thing to note with refreshing using TS is that there is no direct indication of the extract running, it sort of does it in the background. However, the refresh should not take any longer than it would in TD, so it can be worth testing how long it takes to refresh in TD first.

Q.one day automate process was failed next day which one it consider first file.

If your automated process is failed then you can run the job and you can take the recent data because the users would be interested to see the recent data.If it is not the case the users will see the old data that means the data which is available before the job failed.

Automating the process:

Use Command-Line Tools to Schedule Batch Updates:

If you want to automate the updates to your Server data sources than you can accomplish this using some straightforward command-line tools. These tools are installed with Tableau Desktop.

You can add these operations to a Batch script and automate the process using Windows Task Scheduler. This can be done on a particular schedule or after an event has occurred on the system. You have full flexibility on the frequency of these updates.

If your data source is a file (Excel, CSV, Access):tableau refreshextract -s https://online.tableausoftware.com -t “SITENAME”--datasource TEST -u myUSERNAME -p myPASSWORD --original-file “c:\Downloads\some content.xlsx”