3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 1:37 PM by Juan Manuel Rivera Cabezas

Tableau data server to database server

Juan Manuel Rivera Cabezas

Hi, i need your help !

I have a tablea workbook in desktop, in this moment is a test dashboard, i connect this workbook with tableau server and publish the data source.

In this moment, the fact change and i have a new dimension, but my workbook in this moment change the datasource ( database to tableau data source )

I need to make the new relationship and use the new fields.

How i can chage the datasource in this step,  this option is disabled in my tableau desktop, i need to use database source.

excuse my english !!

• 1. Re: Tableau data server to database server
          Akram Ebrahim

Hi Juan,

Connect to the new data source and follow the below steps

Server -> Publish datasource -> Select datasource -> Overwrite the existing datasource(datasource with same name) with newly added dimensions.

After overwriting the published datasource, connect the same and follow the below options

Data -> Datasource name -> Extract -> Refresh to get the updated columns on report

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau data server to database server
            Tharashasank Davuluru

HI,

It is not currently possible to edit a published data source directly.

Use the following workaround.

1. Connect to the published data source from Tableau Desktop.
            2. Create a local copy of the data source by selecting Data > <data source> > Create Local Copy.
            3. Save the local copy of the data source.
            4. Navigate to a worksheet that uses the desired data source.
            5. Replace the published data source with the new local data source by selecting Data > Replace data source....
            6. Right-click the published data source and then select Close to close the published data source.
            7. Make the desired changes to the local copy of the data source.
            8. Select Data > <data source> > Publish to Server to overwrite the original published data source on Tableau Server.
            9. Select Data > Connect to Data to connect to the newly published data source.
            10. Select Data > Replace Data Source to replace the local data source with the published data source.
            11. Right-click the local data source and then select Close to close the local data source.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful