3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 6:02 AM by Tom W

Using same workbook "template" on many data sources

Vytenis Janilionis

Hi,

I have the following setup:
      - N data sources (connections to different database tables which have IDENTICAL structure)
      - N workbooks for each data source (each workbook is IDENTICAL, i.e. I have a "template" workbook, not just the formatting, but also the columns, graphs, filters etc are the same)

At the moment if I change something in the "template" workbook, I need to publish this N times (together with each data source) separately to keep everything updated. Is there by any chance a more efficient way to make such updates? Suggestions to join all the tables into one table and put this into one workbook with an additional filter are not welcome

Best,
      Vytenis

• 1. Re: Using same workbook "template" on many data sources
          Tom W

Tableau files are all just XML content which can be manipulated in a text editor or by scripting.

If it were me, I would create a script which takes a 'template' document and replaces the connection aspect of that Tableau file with the new source information, outputs a new files, moves onto the next etc.

The best demonstration of this is, copy your template, edit the connection / datasource to point to the new datasource, then compare the contents of the XML in both the Tableau files side by side in a text editor like Notepad++. You'll see exactly where the differences are and thus, what you would need to replace in a scripted process.

• 2. Re: Using same workbook "template" on many data sources
            Christen Webster

Good question Vytenis! I often wonder the same thing! Most of my data comes in similar format (well I have to make it that way) and so even though some of the fields may be unnecessary I add them in all the same. I keep not wanting to save the template down and add new data so as to not make multiple templates.

Tom - Without knowing XML, is this a simple thing to figure out? I'm a 1 desktop licence user, with a few others in the small business using Reader to review my reports. How would this work for them? Or wouldn't it?

• 3. Re: Using same workbook "template" on many data sources
              Tom W

Christen,

The only option you have through the desktop tool is the 'Replace Data

Source' functionality.

Otherwise you need to go down the path of editing XML using a script or

creating scripts which utilize an API. None of that will be particularly

easy if you don't understand XML or have experience with a scripting tool.

On Apr 11, 2017 8:16 PM, "Christen Webster" <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>