3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 11:43 AM by Andrew Watson

Calculating Averages

Nishanth Reddy

Hello :

I've  300K transaction records of employees with  transaction identifier '1' or '0'. I want to show the average of transactions with '0' and '1' separately in a tool tip for a particular employee on a bar chart. How do I proceed ? if I use filters, I'm able to show the avg value of only a certain type for an employee.

Thanks

Nishanth

• 1. Re: Calculating Averages
          Andrew Watson

You can create calculated fields to work out the averages for 1 and 0.

Avg0: IF [ID] = 0 THEN [TRANSACTION] END

Avg1: IF [ID] = 1 THEN [TRANSACTION] END

These can be dragged to the Tooltip shelf and set to AVG.

This may too simplistic for what you're actually trying to achieve, in which case please upload a packaged workbook and include some specific examples of what you expect to see.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Calculating Averages
            Nishanth Reddy

Hi Andrew :

I forgot to mention that I'm showing the transactions of employees with '1' as their identifier by using a filter. But, in the tool tip I want to the averages of those with '0' too for that particular employee. I can show the avg for '1' in the way you mentioned above but I'm unable to show for '0' as they are being filtered out.

Thanks

Nishanth

• 3. Re: Calculating Averages
              Andrew Watson

Ok, if you're filtering out the data but also want to show it that complicates things. You could try converting the filter to a Table Calculation filter. This would mean creating a calculated field and having a formula such as ATTR([ID]) and using that calculated field as your filter instead of the ID field.

This may not work in your case, if not I suggest rethinking where you're going to put this information, would be better on a different worksheet which isn't affected by the Id filter so both 1 and 0 averages are always displayed.