12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 1:15 PM by laura.winger.0

Groups, filters with overlapping members

laura.winger.0

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a peer comparison dashboard to compare my company to others on a number of different metrics. There are two different comparison groups, one I'm calling "Peer" and the other, "Overlap." I ultimately want a filter on my dashboard so that the end user can choose whether they are viewing the Peer, Overlap, or both comparison groups. The problem I'm having is that some of the companies fall into both groups. I've tried several ways of setting up this identifier in my underlying Excel file, but haven't been successful. The additional rows of data for the "duplicate" companies end up doubling the values in my metrics even though it did identify them as being part of both the Peer and Overlap groups.

Capture.PNG

I am a beginner at Tableau so my attempts at Sets and building a calculated field to identify the groups each company belong to didn't work. A colleague has suggested using a parameter, but I am not quite sure how to get started with that. I am interested to hear what the possible solutions are. Thank you!