2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 10:45 AM by Andy Chiamopoulos

Bring a Map Region to Front (Tableau Map)

Andy Chiamopoulos

Hello! First time poster, so please forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I have a map of legislative districts, and one district is fully encompassed by another, so that the encompassed district cannot be seen on the map. Is there any way to bring this "covered" region to front so it can be seen? In the worksheet below, District 122 covers District 123 (you can view District 123 if you filter and exclude Name = 122). I've tried a bunch of ways to get District 123 to be visual/brought to front with no success. Any ideas? Any help would be immensely appreciated. My worksheet is below.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Districts_4/House?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y

• 1. Re: Bring a Map Region to Front (Tableau Map)
          Ashish Chaudhari

HI Andy,

Will this work for you? 123 in blue and orange one is the 122.

Please refer the entire screenshot. I have taken the Avg(Y) twice in rows and changed the mark as Circles which is highlighted in Red rectangle. Once you put Avg(Y) twice in rows, you will get two maps. Please follow the above step then right click on the Second AVG(Y) and choose dual axis.

I am attaching workbook but this won't open as you are using tableau public/ older version tableau. Thus I have mentioned the points.

Let me know if this helps.

-Ashish Chaudhari

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bring a Map Region to Front (Tableau Map)
            Andy Chiamopoulos

Hi Ashish,

Thanks so much for the response. That is getting pretty close, and I created a custom color field so that only the two regions that are 'covered' are visible:

However, the circles cover the region boundaries in the denser areas (i.e., top right of map), which makes the map unusable for my purposes. I could set the color to transparent so that the boundaries are visible, but on hover-over it still causes an issue for me. Ideally, I would like to show the boundaries as they actually are. I've gotten close - I created copies of my X and Y geo fields and set them to null for all but the two regions that are not visible. Then I added these new fields and used a dual, synchronized axis, and the result is this (which now shows the hidden region, District 123):

The only issue with this is that my map is no longer a map - note the axis and the lack of a zoom, etc. I'm guessing there is something that I need to do to keep it a map after adding the new field. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

My workbook is saved here: https://public.tableau.com/views/DistrictsTest/House?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y . I can open anything you attach as I have Tableau Desktop installed at work.

Andy