3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 6:39 AM by Stephane Marx

Map Layover for U.S. Power Market

Zachary Long

Hi,

I am looking to see if anyone has the map layover for the ISO Power Markets in the U.S.? I am trying to replicate this map on Tableau but I am having a hard time figuring out how to select specific regions/unique locations in each state to shade/fill on a tableau map.

Any kind of help is much appreciated!

Thanks

ISO.PNG

• 1. Re: Map Layover for U.S. Power Market
          Stephane Marx

Hi Zachary,

You first need to have a data set with state of the united states. For demo purposes I used the superstore data.

1- Start by building a filled map (simply import your country & state dimension onto the detail mark card)

2- You can easily group different states together directly on the map to create specific regions

You now have a new dimension in the data pane, which groups the states selected together:

You can edit this group to group other states together and name them the way you like.

Finally you can use this group dimension onto the color shelf and choose the equivalent colors for your regions.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Map Layover for U.S. Power Market
            Zachary Long

Thanks for the reply, but I am trying to find a solution that allows me to have unique locations. (not the entire state)

As you can see from the image I posted above and you look at California you can see random spots that are not orange.

Any tools or tips that will allow me to recreate a map like the image? Possible draw the map on tableau?

• 3. Re: Map Layover for U.S. Power Market
              Stephane Marx

Hi Zachary,

You can then use the function polygon of this free online tool (which is super useful):

http://drawingtool.powertoolsfortableau.com/

Use drawing tool to draw the commission areas on the map and get their latitude / longitude

You can be more or less precise in the drawing by zooming in and out (and the number of clicks you do for each)

Choose the “table” option in Point Data and copy paste into an excel spreadsheet

Note: the more precise you are in the drawing of the area, the more shapes you have for each shape.

Tip: Add an extra column to blend with the data source you’re using.

Here I added the column “City” where I entered London. Also add the information for the commission groups (again to blend and make it clearer).

Once you have added the commission names save the spreadsheet and connect it to your tableau workbook.

You then want to turn the shape and point fields into discrete and dimensions

You then bring the latitude and longitude to your visualization. You change the chart marks type into “polygon” and bring the Shape to detail / point to path.

As in the example above you can color with other dimensions (I added commissioning group here).