6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 11:53 AM by madhuri.tanniru

Multiple bars and lines chart

madhuri.tanniru

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this

I am attaching a sample workbook with mock data.

The first sheet shows sum of prices ( all 3 measures) for a given date, and the second sheet shows source, type , description grouped by date .

I am having tough time in displaying all of them in the same sheet as the user is looking for a way to look at all of this data in the same sheet.

It would be great if someone could help.

Thanks,

-Madhuri

• 1. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
          Vincent Baumel

Is there a reason you can't just put both worksheets into one dashboard?

• 2. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
            madhuri.tanniru

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the response!

The initial solution was to go with a dashboard and using highlight actions.

However, there can be many values ( Source and Type) for each date in the Worksheet "E"

Because of this, the charts are not aligned properly and the user is keen on having the values in one worksheet.

I tried to reshape the data and present the values in one sheet. Please see the attached

However, is there a possibility, for "Price" to be displayed as a line chart.

Thanks,

-Madhuri

• 3. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
              Vincent Baumel

I created another sheet called Prices per P Date, and using the P (Charts) data source I put P Date on columns, and Price/Price2/Price3 on rows. This gave me a good comparison for these three measures all on the same worksheet.

I rotated the labels for the X axis, and fixed the tick marks to every day. Then I changed the E worksheet just a little - added column grid lines, changed the axis to match the start and end date of the other worksheet (June 30 to July 19 in this case), fixed the tick marks to every day.

Now when I put both of them into a dashboard, I can play around with the sizing and formatting to line everything up. I made the Source legend floating, stretched the start date line out to match up, hid the date header on the E worksheet. All in all it looks nice and lined up, and all in one view! Let me know if this helps.

• 4. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
                madhuri.tanniru

Thanks Vincent for taking time and building the dashboard. It's very much readable than what I currently have.

However, is there a way to not set the range of the axis of E worksheet to fixed but still achieve similar functionality

Because, in the original worksheet, I have a data parameter that is used to compare measures across various months.

Thanks,

-Madhuri

• 5. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
                  Vincent Baumel

The problem is that in order for things to line up visually, you need to treat the date axis the same for each worksheet. Otherwise things won't line up - for example, if one worksheet is showing data starting a year ago and the other worksheet is showing data starting a week ago, things aren't going to line up. Calculations and parameters should function fine and accurately, but visually they will only line up if the scale is the same for both x-axis. Does that make sense?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Multiple bars and lines chart
                    madhuri.tanniru

Thanks Vincent! I will convey the same to the user

Thanks,

-Madhuri