5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 6:22 AM by Nick Bourne

Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips

Nick Bourne

Hello,

I recently created a polygon map inside of Tableau.  One of the details that I currently have in my tooltip a website URL (this is its own separate column in Excel).  Is there any way to create hyperlinks for all of these URLs simultaneously, so that the tooltip card includes a clickable URL for each polygon when I hover over it?  Currently is just displays the URL and the tooltip will not allow me to even copy and paste that into my browser as the tooltip disappears once clicked.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

• 1. Re: Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips
          Joe Oppelt

Create a menu hyperlink action.  Name it "Click here to go somewhere".  (Or whatever you want to name it.)  For the URL value, use the dropdown to select the field name that contains the URL.  Don't display that value in the tooltip.  If you choose MENU for the action type, the hyperlink action will look like a hyperlink in your tooltip.  It will say "Click here to go somewhere" and be underlined in a blue font.  The user clicks, and the value of the underlying field will supply the hyperlink.

• 2. Re: Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips
            Nick Bourne

I created an hyperlink action with the URL value as the field for it.  However, when I removed it from the tooltip from, I do not see a hyperlink action appearing.

I will attach pictures below to show my steps...
            1. Adding the link action in my worksheet tab.
            2. Showing what comes up once I do that.
            3. Hovering over a polygon but not seeing a hyperlink.

Can you please help with this problem?

Thank you so much for your timeTableau Help.pngTableau Help 2.pngTableau 3.png

• 3. Re: Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips
              Nick Bourne

I got the URLs to be included now, but when I click on them, Tableau says that they are unresponsive.TableauError.png

• 4. Re: Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips
                Joe Oppelt

It looks like you are using the field [website] to load the URL, so there must be a URL value in the data.  What happens when you paste that value in your web browser.  (And is Chrome your default browser?  I'm not sure that matters, but I'm just asking.)

Attached is an 8.2 sample workbook that does hyperlink actions.  (It'll upgrade to any version you have.)  Hover over a dot.  Furniture, for example.  The Hyperlink1 action uses a calc field to call GOOGLE and search for "Furniture".  The Hyperlink2 action has the GOogle URL spelled out, but passes the [Department] value.

How does this behave for you?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adding Hyperlinks into Sheet Tooltips
                  Nick Bourne

I was able to mirror the hyperlinks off of the workbook you sent me.  Thank you so much for your help!