3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 4:03 AM by AJ AJ

Need help with Server Node/Sizing for PDF reports

AJ AJ

Need some assistance in understanding to do my sizing for the Tableau. I have around 6000 reports that i would need to generate. When i say 6000 reports it will be a huge impact on the tableau server. The version i am using is 9.3 64 bit

6000 reports with 10 sub-accounts with 1 MB of size  = 68 GB of total size. The 6000 reports are just for a single customer and will have reports as high as 100000 reports on a monthly basis.

I am planning to go with 2 different approach

1. tabcmd to generate the pdf

2. batch script in share point which will gather the link from tableau and generate a png at the share point.

Please suggest me how to do my sizing when i have this requirement. I know i have to increase the Nodes but dont know how many do i need, and should not impact my interactive reports. The batch will be run during of peak hours.

• 1. Re: Need help with Server Node/Sizing for PDF reports
          John Kuo

I don't think sending out 6000 - 10000 reports during peak hours is practical. We have a dedicated 8 core backgrounder box and we see delays of HOURS with reports in the hundreds.

Just curious, what kind of data source are these reports connected to? MS SQL? Oracle?

• 2. Re: Need help with Server Node/Sizing for PDF reports
            AJ AJ

Yes we are using Oracle Database.

But i did some digging my self to figure how many cores do i need for 6000 reports, Curious to know how we can calculate the number of cores based on reports.

I was calculating it as "each report" = "each user" since when a request is hit to generate a report at the backgrounder, it is similar to a single user.

Please correct me if my assumption is right or wrong.

So what I did was

Tableau proposed solution : 100 concurrent users - 1 (8 cores) -.5 sec

In my case - 6000 users = 600 concurrent users -  6 (8 Cores) - .5 Sec

As per my requirement we need it in 5 Sec i.e. 6/10 =.6 which is close to 1 (8 Core), This assumption is only for backgrounder , and additionally i need another 8 core for VizQL.

Please do current me if any of my assumptions are close by. Still i am not sure if this is the way to go when calculating the sizing for reports.

Regards

Ajay

• 3. Re: Need help with Server Node/Sizing for PDF reports
              AJ AJ

Hi John,

I am doing the entire process in off-peak hours.

Regards

AJ