5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 7:39 AM by Andy Boyd

Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?

Douglas Cavalcante

Hi Friends, I have a problem.

I started a server with trial licence, after, I added a permanent key.

The new server is in total use now.

The problem is, trial license allow only 5 viewer and 5 interactor and will expire in some days. But in ambiance, i have 10 interactor on permanent licence. I need remove the trial license now and cannot wait the expiration.

I followed a procedure using the "serveractutil", but, when i execute "serveractutil -view,", show only the permanent licence.

See:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Trust Flags: FULLY TRUSTED

Fulfillment Type: PUBLISHER ACTIVATION

Fulfillment ID: FID__xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxx__xxxx

Entitlement ID: TSxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Product ID: NAME=Tableau Server;VERSION=4.0

Suite ID: NONE

Expiration date: permanent

Concurrent: 0

Concurrent overdraft:0

Hybrid: 1

Hybrid overdraft: 0

Activatable: 0

Activatable overdraft: 0

Repairs: 0

Feature line(s):

INCREMENT TableauServerCapacity tableau 2014.1118 permanent 1 \

VENDOR_STRING=EntitlementID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;INTERACTOR=10;

VIEWER=;FulfillmentID=FID__xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;ActivationID=TSxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;OEMNAME=;GUEST=;GBRAND=;CORES=;SINGLE_MACHINE= \

ISSUER="Tableau Software" ISSUED=20-jul-2016 START=26-nov-2013 \

TS_OK SIGN=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

INCREMENT TableauServer tableau 2014.1118 permanent 1 \

VENDOR_STRING=EntitlementID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;EDITION=Standa

rd;CAP=REG:SHORT;DC_STD=default;DC_CAP=;MAX_USERS=;TRIALVER=;FulfillmentID=FID__

xxxxxxxxx;ActivationID=TSxxxxxxxxxxxxx;OEMNAME=;MAP_ST

D=default;MAP_CAP=;OFFLINE= \

ISSUER="Tableau Software" ISSUED=20-jul-2016 START=26-nov-2013 \

TS_OK SIGN="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

How i can remove the trial license now?

Edited by Diego medrano to remove license info.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?
          Jeff Strauss

a few weeks ago when I was shuffling around server deployments, I had to temporarily deploy a trial license.  And after I was done with the shuffling and applied the permanent license, the trial remained.  I had the same question as you, but then it appears that once the trial expired, it just disappeared and the permanent took over.

• 2. Re: Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?
            Douglas Cavalcante

Thanks for answer!

Unffortunately, the trial licence allow only 5 Interactor users, I need 10.

I cannot wait.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?
              Toby Erkson

If you cannot wait then you need to contact your sales representative.  If they cannot help then contact Tableau Support through your Tableau customer portal.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?
                Nathan Panuco

Hi Douglas:

To clarify, you already have a purchased 10-seat license and there is an active 5-seat trial license already? Are you receiving an error or message when trying to activate the new key? It is not unusual to have multiple licenses in the Manage Product Keys application. Every time a new capacity key is added to the environment, it will show up in that dialog box.

Check out this solution for upgrading from Trail to Licensed: Upgrading from Trial to Licensed Version of Tableau Server | Tableau Software

If that doesn't get you to where you need to be, I would suggest opening a case with Tableau Technical Support before attempting to manually delete fulfillment from trusted storage: http://www.tableau.com/support/request

Hope this helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau Server - How remove the trial licence?
                  Andy Boyd

I had the same problem, running a 10 seat trial license and then adding permanent keys that should have allowed for 15 seats.  The 10 seat trial license prevented the full 15 seats from being available for use.  I could not wait for the trial license to expire, so I submitted a case to Tableau support to resolve it, which they were able to do.  The steps are below.

The issue seems to be that Tableau Server is not seeing all of the available licenses that have been activated on the machine. Generally this occurs when a new interactor key is added/activated, but Tableau Server is not restarted after adding the new key. A restart is always necessary after adding a new interactor key.

To resolve this issue, please follow the below steps:

1. Sign in to the computer running Tableau Server with an account that has full administrative rights.

1. On the computer running Tableau Server, open the Command Prompt window as an administrator (Right click and run as administrator), and execute one of the following commands:

+ On a 32-bit computer: cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin"

+ On a 64-bit computer: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin"

1. At the command prompt, run the following commands in order:

a. tabadmin stop

b. lmreread

c. tabadmin start

Unable to Allocate New Licenses

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/unable-to-allocate-new-licenses

This worked to resolve the problem for me.  After stopping the services, rereading the license keys, and restarting the services my full 15 seat count was available for use.

1 of 2 people found this helpful