10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 3:41 PM by Toby Erkson

Automated sharing of twbx files

Dilip Varma

Hi All,

We would like to automate download of twbx files from tableau server to a shared location. How can it be achieved? and Is it legal to use Tableau reader to read those files?

Thanks, Dilip

• 1. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
          Mark Fraser

Hi Dilip

We would like to automate download of twbx files from tableau server to a shared location. How can it be achieved?

You will need tabcmd, in conjunction with the Windows task scheduler.

tabcmd Commands

and Is it legal to use Tableau reader to read those files?

Yes

Something like this -

(paste in notepad, save as .bat extension (batch file))

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Processing.....

cd /D C:\

cd C:\tabcmd\Command Line Utility

tabcmd logout

tabcmd login -s http://ourwebsite.com -u mark --password-file pwd.txt

tabcmd get.... << this is where you put the workbooks to download

tabcmd get.... << add more lines as you need

tabcmd logout

ECHO ON

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
            Dilip Varma

Thanks a lot for the steps Mark. However regarding the license part i have seen the below statement in tableau reader EULA .

http://mkt.tableau.com/files/eula-reader.pdf

"You may not use the Reader Software for any other purpose, including without limitation to open a Tableau Packaged Workbook (“.twbx file”) created using Tableau Desktop,Tableau Server or Tableau Online and saved or generated in an  automated  fashion."

Regards,

Dilip

• 3. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
              Mark Fraser

Interesting... I never knew, and actually a more than a little surprised.

I'm no legal eagle but that does seem to forbid opening files created via automation... I suppose it encroaches too much into Server's domain.

Hmmm, it seems the Tableau Reader in practice is pretty restrictive, more than I knew or guessed. I wonder how many unknowingly break the licensing agreement?!

Begs the question - how much use is there automating exports of workbooks from Server if I can only view it via Desktop and Server?!

I had bought our company's licensing with the intention to distribute via Reader... this is worrying.

Tableau Community

Are you able to provide a little more insight? The above is news to me... Reader isn't the philanthropic software I had wrongly believed it was?!

Cheers

Mark

FYI Toby Erkson

• 4. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
                Dilip Varma

Exactly. I do not see much use of the Reader if this restriction is true.

• 5. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
                  Toby Erkson

Dilip Varma wrote:

Exactly. I do not see much use of the Reader if this restriction is true.

Yes, that could slow things down for sure.

And, uhm, wow.  I wasn't aware of that part in the legal agreement.  I don't see why this would be an issue if a licensed Tableau Server is in use.  Also, while automating without a Tableau Server could be thought as a way to get around buying a Tableau Server (locally or Online) a whole lot of functionality would be lost, like security and maintenance processes and web editing/custom views.

Veddy interestink.

• 6. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
                    Neil Critchley

Thanks for your response Toby! I have the same question. Would it be possible to confirm with someone on your legal team whether this is an acceptable use of Tableau Reader provided there's an existing Tableau Server license in place? It's difficult to imagine what the acceptable use cases would be if the EULA is that restrictive for Tableau Reader.

• 7. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
                      Toby Erkson

Neil, I'm not a Tableau employee, I'm just an ordinary Joe like most other people here.  I've just spent enough time here helping and promoting Tableau that they gave me a "merit badge" in recognition along with other responsibilities like moderation (to take care of spammers, for example).  But we can ping the Tableau Community and see if they can have someone from the Tableau legal department look into this and come back with an answer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files

I've reached out to our Legal team and I'll let you know once I have any word!

Thanks,

-Diego

• 9. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files

Alright everyone, after speaking with our Licensing team, they've given me a response to address your questions. Before I post I just want to say:

1. We really appreciate how much you all care about this issue and we're consistently grateful for your passion around the products.

2. After this post, we have no plans on commenting further on the questions. Any further questions should be directed towards account managers.

Without further ado:

Tableau Reader is a free application that lets anyone view and interact with Tableau packaged workbooks (.twbx files) that are created with authorized copies of Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server or Tableau Online and individually saved therein.  Reader makes it possible for Authorized Users of Tableau's products to share visualizations and dashboards with anyone without the need for separate paid products.

Usage of Tableau Reader is governed by the terms and conditions outlined in the Tableau Reader End User License Agreement.  As you can see, Tableau Reader may only be used to open packaged workbooks that were created and saved individually within Tableau's Desktop, Server or Online products.  Tableau Reader may not be used to open any packaged workbook that was saved or generated in an automated fashion.

With respect to the separate question regarding the TDEGen and AutoIt utilities, please understand that Tableau cannot provide guidance on the use or configuration of third party products.  Please note, however, that when any utility is used to automatically generate or update Tableau packaged workbook files, the resulting workbook may not be opened using Tableau Reader.

Tableau encourages all users to fully read and understand the terms of the relevant End User License Agreement prior to installing or using Tableau's software. After reviewing these materials, should users have further questions regarding the permitted use of Tableau's products, users should direct these questions to their Tableau Account Manager.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Automated sharing of twbx files
                            Toby Erkson

Thanks Diego for following up on this

The answer is pretty clear