3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:46 PM by Nicholas Hara

Issue Consistently Connecting to PowerPivot Models (Excel 2016)

Alaistair Jones

Hi all,

I'm currently running Tableau 10 Beta 4 (and have also tried using Tableau 9.3.4 and 9.2.4) and connecting to PowerPivot models built in Excel 2016. I have installed all the relevant drivers for both Tableau and Excel. Sometimes I am able to connect just fine (usually when I have recently restarted my computer). Sometimes- usually after making some changes to my data model, saving and closing Excel, and refreshing my connection- I am prompted with an error message and this usually persists for a while or until I restart my machine:

"The drivers necessary to connect to this database server are not properly installed.  Visit http://www.tableausoftware.com/drivers to download driver setup files.

It appears that you don't have Tableau PowerPivot Add-In (Excel Add-In) installed. Please install Tableau PowerPivot Add-In and try again.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."

I've been struggling with connecting Tableau Workbooks to Microsoft PowerPivot models consistently. I have downloaded and installed all the necessary drivers. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers. I have tried various versions of Tableau to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what may be happening? Does the driver/service turn itself off at times? I have seen a few unanswered threads along similar lines: Unable to connect to PowerPivot Data Source , etc.

Thanks,

Alaistair