Just to confirm, when you access the dashboard in Tableau Server via the direct link (and not just the preview window after publishing) the shapes are not matching, is that correct?
Correct, I updated the post to try and clarify that part. Still odd preview changes what I have. As long as what you see in preview is what you get when you publish. Either way, seems like a bug to me. We don't have v10 environment to test to see if its been corrected.
A few follow up questions
- Are there multiple individuals working on this workbook (not necessarily at the same time) or is it being modified on different computers?
- Is it a TWB or a TWBX?
- What type of data source is it?
- Assuming the work is all being done by a single person on a single computer, is your Tableau repository the default location in Documents or has that been changed?
Original data source is MS SQL server. Currently data is pointed to extract located in standard Tableau repository and I recently refreshed and recreated the extract.
Yes, all single person on single workstation.
I did recently have my workstation upgraded to Windows 10, but all of my documents folders were migrated. However, I refreshed so it should have created a fresh copy.
Thanks for the answers, here is what I would try next:
- Open your workbook and save it as a packaged workbook, TWBX, publish that and see if the issue goes away.
- Create a brand new workbook with a different data source, such as the sample superstore data source that comes installed with tableau, and mockup something similar with shapes to see if you can recreate the issue.
Thanks, Ken. I will try the TWBX option as that's easiest to start with. If it continues, I will try the option of recreating similar config with superstore data.
I am still working within the same workbook and seemed to pinpoint a related issue with shapes as well. If I change my filter by adding a dimension and apply to all sheets within the worksheet, my shapes and their respective colors change back to default. What's odd is its not all worksheets that are impacted, only some. I will try to recreate in superstore as this bugs me.
Yet another quirky aspect of shapes changing for no reason. I am using filled arrows, all I click is swap button, my shapes change back to default unfilled shapes. This is with a TWBX.
Once I find some time to recreate in superstore, I will, but seems odd and a bug to me, regardless of data source or TWB versus TWBX.