2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 6:04 AM by Owen Pierce

Solution for geocoding

Owen Pierce

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has an easy solution for batch geocoding? I have over 12000 individual mark names which I want to display on a map e.g companies, landmarks etc separated by country and city but I need an easy way to accurately add lat and long for each individual mark so that marks are not clusterd together.

Does anyone know how this could be easily done? I have used a few batch geocoders online but they arn't very accurate.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks,

Owen

• 1. Re: Solution for geocoding
          Stephane Marx

Hi Owen,

Have a look at this free and great web tool: http://drawingtool.powertoolsfortableau.com/

it allows you to plot / draw areas on a map or background image and automatically generate the latitude & longitude.

You can then use that in Tableau to build your visualizations, super useful!

Hope this helps,

• 2. Re: Solution for geocoding
            Owen Pierce

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to upload a large data set with location name, country and city and then have the system populate long and lat details. the recommended solution doesn't seem to do that.

I have found other solutions online for batch geocoding but they aren't accurate enough. If I go to google maps and type in "Harvard University I get exact coordinates but any other program I uses is off by a couple of blocks. I am sincerely hoping that manual entry is not the way to go.

Thanks again,

Owen