1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 1:09 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Carry over groupings to a new data source

David Moore

Hello team,

Many thanks in advance for your help and support!

I have a daily report where I have built an extensive workbook that I use to publish several dashboards. In it I have to 'group' several dimensions, and then rename them to make sense to my broader audience. I'm trying to find a way where I can migrate the 'groupings' so that I don't have to redo them every time I connect to a new days data source, to update the dashboards. As this report grows, there will be several thousand of these dimensions..............

Here are the steps that I take now that I would like to be able to transfer every time I update the data source in my workbook:

1. Go to dimensions, and group several together in a list of several hundred now. These are numbers that reference a specific market location
      2. Once grouped, I rename the group to a city name

Then, the next day, I replace the previous days data source with the current days' data. At this point, I find that my groupings don't apply or are not carried over. Any suggestions? Here's a simplistic example:

Current DimensionResults
      Total                    404,300
      Grouped Dimensions and renamedResult
      Atlanta404,300
      I would like this to carry over once I replace the data source with an updated version

Thoughts? Any alternative methods you might recommend?

Many thanks again,

Regards,

Dave M.