3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:24 PM by Tom W

Calculated field

Rajarshi Ghose Dastidar

I am using Tableau 9.3 and am facing an issue with a calculated field equation. I have data in this format:

Dedicated resources

Practice

Description

Hours

Dedicated

A1

Pre sales

Not Dedicated

A1

Business Dev.

Dedicated

A1

Idle

Dedicated

A2

Business Dev.

Dedicated

B1

Pre sales

Dedicated

C1

Pre sales

Not Dedicated

D1

Business Dev.

Dedicated

E1

Idle

Not Dedicated

F1

Idle

(A1, A2, A3, B1, C1, D1, … are the sanitized names of the practices)

I am basically trying to calculate % efficiency for each practice. For one of the practice (say Practice A), the equation would be something like this:

[ Dedicated *(A1+A2+A3)*( Presales (+)Business Dev.)*Hours  ]

[ Dedicated *(A1 +A2+A3)*( Presales (+)Business Dev. (+)Idle)*Hours]

These equations for different practices would be different (based on #sub practices which fall under the umbrella of one large practice). Can you please help me write an equation for this?

• 1. Re: Calculated field
          Tom W

I'm not following your sample formula. What is 'Dedicated' in your formula? Is this a static variable? Is it meant to be the sum of hours which is dedicated?

Please provide a better example using Excel to calculate your expected results and additionally, please attach a Tableau Packaged Workbook including your sample data. It would be good to see how far you've actually gotten with this.

Have you looked at Level of Detail calculations?

• 2. Re: Calculated field
            Rajarshi Ghose Dastidar

It's a column which provides me information about whether resources are 'Dedicated' or 'Not Dedicated'.

I need to calculate sum of hours of resources who are dedicated and who spend time on pre sales and business development, across each practice.

Sorry, can not upload workbook since its  confidential.

• 3. Re: Calculated field
              Tom W

While your data may be confidential, you can go ahead and create a scenario with some mock data, connect Tableau to this and create a Tableau Packaged Workbook.

Additionally, it would be really helpful if you created an excel workbook based off your sample data to show how you're calculating your expected results.