8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 1:07 PM by Naveen Agarwal

Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....

Mark Lewis

I don't know how many Worksheets, Dashboards, and Story's I have - dozens and dozens - but I'm getting completely lost now trying to find them. I often find myself building new worksheets as it's easier than finding one I've already created!

I've tried to use the colouring of the tabs to help - and it did help, at first - but I've gone way past that now.

What I'd love to see is some combination of - or all of - the following in Tableau:

• A search facility for Worksheet name, just like there is for Dimensions/Measures
      • The ability to group sheets into Folders
      • The ability to tag sheets with multiple tags, so that you can search for sheets with one or more tags

Does anyone else have this same problem, or is it just me?

Any tips/suggestions for dealing with large numbers of sheets in a workbook?

How do I get the above feature suggestions on the product roadmap radar, if they're not already there?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
          Mark Fraser

HI Mark

I and I'm sure many feel your pain

How do I get the above feature suggestions on the product roadmap radar, if they're not already there?

The amazing kettan has grouped different ideas together

You can vote up existing and/or view the comments - they maybe workarounds

Or raise your own

Re: TFD #11: Johan's Ideas Collections

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/4014

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
            Mark Fraser

Ideas like this one would help >> https://community.tableau.com/ideas/1031

• 3. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
              kettan

A search facility for Worksheet name, just like there is for Dimensions/Measures

I would also like to see intelligent filtering as suggested in  Tab Quick Filter  (see especially option 3-4)

The ability to tag sheets with multiple tags, so that you can search for sheets with one or more tags

This is also covered (as filtering though). See option 11-13 in above mentioned idea.

Up-vote various ideas you like plus comment those you like the most by saying why it is important and also what would be even better then suggested idea. You find many ideas about tabs in the link already referenced by Mark:  Tabs

-oOo-

I don't know how many Worksheets, Dashboards, and Story's I have - dozens and dozens - but I'm getting completely lost now trying to find them. I often find myself building new worksheets as it's easier than finding one I've already created!

I couldn't resist the temptation of re-phrasing your statement above in regard to answering questions in this forum 

I don't know how many questions I have answered - dozens and dozens - but I'm getting completely lost now trying to find them. I often find myself answering anew as it's easier than finding one I've previously posted about the exactly same thing!

And if I can't find my own comments, how can it be expected that new community users find them!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
                Mark Lewis

Thanks Mark. I'll check out those links.

• 5. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
                  Mark Lewis

Thanks Kettan. Slightly dispiriting to see some of those feature requests going back to 2012 (maybe earlier, but that was the earliest I spotted), indicating not much urgency from Tableau to improve this side of things.

Still, don't ask, don't get...;)

Thanks,

Mark

• 6. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
                    kettan

Still, don't ask, don't get...;)

A Tableau worker has been trying to collect more info about this in:

How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?

I can't help but think that this worker's question was an attempt to find out if Tableau should put organization, filtering, and searching of sheets (Tabs) on their product road map.

I mention this as an opportunity for you (and other readers of this comment who care about this issue) to influence Tableau to put this feature improvement on their road map by sharing how many worksheets are in your most used workbooks (and thus why this is so important/urgent).

-oOo-

When working with Tableau, I didn't have an issue with this, because I generally didn't include that many worksheets in each workbook. The reason I posted  Tab Quick Filter  was only because I thought it was an idea too good not to share in Ideas.  And the reason I was thinking about Tabs in the first place was because there were so many ideas posted in this regard.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome an improvement in this regard. I would. Such a feature would make my day a bit easier, save me some time here and there, and not the least, reduce the number of disturbances in my work flow.

• 7. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
                      kettan

Slightly dispiriting to see some of those feature requests going back to 2012 (maybe earlier, but that was the earliest I spotted)

Just so you know:

The ideas section began in the end of January 2012, so no ideas go further back in time than that.

• 8. Re: Getting lost with large number of Worksheets....
                        Naveen Agarwal

Typically, I find myself making a lot of worksheets when I am in the "discovery" mode. I also end up rebuilding the final "clean" worksheets in a separate file after I have gathered a few insights for the final presentation. It would be nice to be able to export a clean worksheet from the "working space" to a "holding place" which can later be used to compile all of them at one time without having to recreate.

I wonder if it is possible to either record your notes and thoughts about a worksheet (either as a voice memo or written notes as annotations)...

Maybe there is a way to do this already...I am still relatively new to this platform.