5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 11:30 AM by John Sobczak

URL Actions with Attributes

Stephen Hellyar

I use a parameter to set the level of detail.  There are multiple options.   I want the tooltip to include a link.   The link includes the values from two different dimensions.  I do not want to include these dimensions under level of detail as it would negate the parameter.  

I tried adding the required dimensions to level of detail and setting them to attribute.  The test link works in the Edit URL Action menu, but it fails on the actual dashboard. 

Is there anyway to make this work?

Thanks

• 1. Re: URL Actions with Attributes
          John Sobczak

It works in the Edit URL menu because you are plugging in directly the variable whereas the action is plugging in what it gets from the filter selection - most likely an * if there are multiple dimension values in your selection.

How are you using the parameter?  Are you creating a calculated dimension off it such as below?   You should be able to put this calculated dimension on your level of detail.  Is that what you did?

Case [parameter]

when 1 then [dimension 1]

when 2 then [dimension 2]

end

• 2. Re: URL Actions with Attributes
            Stephen Hellyar

That is what I did.  Except, I am purposely trying to keep the dimension needed for the tooltip URL out of the detail parameter.  It sounds like that might not be possible.  All I can do is reduce the dimensions needed for the URL to one, add it to the detail parameter and live with the fact that you can only access the tooltip URL when that specific dimension is selected in the detail parameter. 

• 3. Re: URL Actions with Attributes
              John Sobczak

What do you mean by detail parameter?  I'm not following.

• 4. Re: URL Actions with Attributes
                Stephen Hellyar

On the marks card I use a parameter to set the level of detail.   The parameter is setup exactly like you suggested (as a CASE).   The dimension input needed for the URL tooltip IS NOT one of the dimensions included in the level of detail parameter.    I want to setup the tooltip URL action to work no matter what dimension is selected using the level of detail parameter.  

• 5. Re: URL Actions with Attributes
                  John Sobczak

Can you help me understand in the attached workbook?  I used a third dimension (sub-category) in the url action not in the parameter case statement (only category and customer name).  What I don't understand is if it is not in the level of detail in the view, what sub-category value would you expect to be plugged in from a selection in the view?  For example, if you want binders (one of the sub-categories) to be plugged in url, how would a user know where to pick binders in the view?