4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 6:38 AM by lynette.chen.2

Formatting Parameter Color

lynette.chen.2

Hi there,

I am having issues formatting the color of my parameter. The Choose a Device is a filter and when I change the body color, it automatically shades the Phone to a lighter grey. However, with my Choose a Date parameter when I change it to the same body color, the actual date field in the parameter stays white. Any one have any ideas on how to format this?

Thanks!
      Lynette

• 1. Re: Formatting Parameter Color
          Shawn Wallwork

This doesn't seem to be normal behavior. In this screenshot the top two are filters, and the bottom two are parameters:

Can you recreate your situation using the Superstore data set so we can see what's going on.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Formatting Parameter Color
            Joe Oppelt

Formatting parameters ... not a lot of options.

You can right click on the parameter name in the dashboard layout shelf and select "Format Parameters".  Notice, though, that the word "Parameters" in that choice is plural.  What you do to this parameter will apply to all parameters.

So click that.  You get the "Format Parameters" panel on the left of your dashboard.  Two parts to that panel:  Title, and Body.

In "Body" you can select shading.  For kicks, pick the black square when you click "Shading".  It bakes the entire area of the parameter's object black, and the selection box for the parameter grey.  You can drag the slider at the bottom of the color chart to change the intensity.  But I don't know of a way to set the two components independently (entire area, and the selection box.)

But mess with that.  Maybe it will take care of what you need to do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Formatting Parameter Color
              Shawn Wallwork

There's an Idea out there that kettan has cataloged that asks that Filter & Parameter formatting are NOT treated as a group, but individually. (In fact I think a created a version of this idea.) There is a must be 'consistent' assumption that simply no longer applies given the vast variety of uses of Tableau. And it is certainly wrong to limit our options, now that Tableau has (is) evolving into a 'polished' software.

Tableau, stop assuming you know what we are going to create; please realize we are using your software to create many different types of vizzes, for many different reasons. And putting data-science rules in our way is no longer relevant to the breakthrough work we are attempting to create. Data visualization changes the world, or can.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Formatting Parameter Color
                lynette.chen.2

Hi Shawn,

I realized this is only happening when I select "Type In" as the Parameter format. The formatting applies properly when I use a slider but for the "Type In", the box with the date in it stays white.

Thanks!
                Lynette