1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 1:46 PM by Adam Borenstein Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
        Adam Borenstein

Amazing! Thank you so much for the help!

• 16. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
          Gerardo Varela

I'm just glad I could help!

Regards,

Gerardo

• 17. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
            Adam Borenstein

Hi Gerardo,

Could I trouble you once more for some assistance? I have two questions.

1) I want to apply the same ideas to the same graph, only this time, each node is represented by a persons name, and not a given ID number. Thus the relationship dimension would be formatted as "Name 1"<-> "Name 2". I tried using the method you already gave me but ran into trouble with creating the parameter control, which didn't seem to want to add in the names created under relationship split 1 or relationship split 2 (as they are strings and not values). Might there be a way to create an alias for the node IDs that match to names (and have that show in the parameter control instead of number values)? Or is there a better way to do this?

2) This may be quite complex and I'm not even sure if it is possible to do in Tableau. Do you have any idea how I can structure the data in excel beforehand (or do something in tableau) to be able to show second degree connections as well (and create a filter that shows a chosen individuals 1st and 2nd degree connections)?

EDIT: 3rd question. With the network diagram I already have, is it possible to show the first degree connections of more than one individual at a time? for example if I wanted to visualize the top 10 people with the most connections, and everyone that is a first degree connection of those individuals, is that doable?

-Adam

• 18. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
              Gerardo Varela

I do this all the time! I create a parameter and start typing out values, hit enter, and nothing happens. 

Then I look slightly higher and go "oh yeah".

2.  I think we don't need this though since the above should take care of things. If not post a tidbit of data with it's new structure and we'll work something out.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 19. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                Adam Borenstein

Whoops! That was an easy fix! I should have noticed that on my own

With regards to my second and third question, the data structure is still the same as the prior workbook I attached, though in certain workbooks I am now using names to replace node IDs. Unfortunately I am not able to post anything with names in the data, but I figure if 2nd degree connections and multiple 1st degree connections can be visualized using node IDs (integer), it can be done with names (strings) as well!

Attached is the same workbook I had added to this thread before.

Thanks again for your help!

• 20. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                  Gerardo Varela

Okay you lost me!

This is what I'm  understanding:

You need the above with a string calculation but your having trouble with parameter control of show all or null?

If thats not the case please let me know.

Regards,

Gerardo

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Death Star

• 21. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                    Adam Borenstein

Sorry I definitely have to be more clear!

The parameter control that you had designed before to show 1st degree connections with integer values is now working with string values (I had forgotten to change the parameter to accept string data types).

I have an additional two functionalities I would like to add to my network diagram, if possible.

The first is the ability to visualize 2nd degree connections. For example, I have individuals A, B and C. A and B are directly connected, B and C are directly connected, but A and C are only connected through individual B. Is there a way for me to select individual A, and see their 1st degree connections (individual B) AND their 2nd degree connections (individual C)?

Additionally (and somewhat similarly), is it possible for me to visualize the 1st degree connections of individual A and the 1st degree connections of individual C at the same time?

If I haven't clarified sufficiently please let me know!

Thanks,

Adam

• 22. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                      Gerardo Varela

Now I understand!  I was lost partly due to your edit, not your explanation.  Apparently, edits do not come through as an e-mail notification. Lesson learned.

The worksheet Original is the answer to your first question. The sheet Top N shows the top 3 nodes by the count of the secondary nodes, which answers your 3rd question.  The sheet A B C Bottom shows the logic you’re after with the second degree and third degree with node 1199. Albeit, I don't know how to answer your question of choosing a and having c selected.

Now how do you combine all three worksheets answers into one?  That’s where I’m stumped.  That doesn’t mean it can’t be done in Tableau.  That just means we need to learn some more techniques. Hopefully, someone else has a chance to a look.  

If  no one else jumps in this thread start a new with your additional questions and link this one for the original solution.  

Regards,

Gerardo

• 23. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                        Adam Borenstein

Gerardo this is great! I followed along in the workbook you sent and it seems to incorporate the functionality I need!

I am trying to replicate this in a non-sample workbook, and I have a few questions/a few problems getting it to work just as yours. For now I have focused on the Top N worksheet, and once that is running smoothly I will move to the ABC sheet. For disclosure sake I want to let you know I am now running this in Tableau 10 Beta. Not sure if that has an effect on not being able to reproduce your results but other projects I am working on require the data blending capabilities that Tableau 10 has that aren't featured in 9.

I need some more time to play around and try and replicate what you have done, but I will be sure to get back to you tomorrow with my questions!

• 24. Re: Adding Specificity to Filters
                          Adam Borenstein

Hi Gerardo,

So I've done some investigating and I have figured out how to make some of these filters work. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is there a reason why the data in the backend is duplicated? (see image)network map question.png

2. I am comfortable with everything found in the Top N sheet, but I cant quite figure out what you have done for the ABC sheet. Would you mind giving me a brief walk through?

Thanks,

Adam

1 2 Previous Next