We are talking about a tde or a tds file?
No file, is a live connection to the DB. That's what bugs me even more.
It makes no sense.
You wish to publish a datasource. I doesn't matter if it's live connection or not, but for sure you have a Tableau File to do it and that's your problem. This structure mismatch the server structure.
Ok, when I made the local copy, it created a .tdsx file.
BTW, I deleted the datasource on the server, and created it again from scratch. Still, when I publish it, it says that the fields are missing. That's why I said earlier that looks like is some sort of cache or temporal memory that is not letting me refresh the data structure.
Try to publish with other name. At least you'll eliminate your suspicion.
Already did that. Same thing. I really did everything I could to make it work. I'm now just waiting for the end of the day to reboot the server. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
The only though i have is that your database is different now than when you did the tdsx file.
To avoid any conflict whatsoever with extracts and old stuff, I deleted the published datasource on TB server. Restarted TB Desktop, connected to the DB as I normally do, grabbed the fact table, added the dimensions and configured the joins, and I could see the two new fields there. I created a test viz to double check it worked as expected, and finally published the data source again, with a complete different name. I even published it to a different project. The moment it finished publishing, the new field pills turned red.
The only thing I'm missing is restart the server. Although, is very inconvenient. Since I'm modeling a new data warehouse, I usually do make changes to the tables, and it would not be very fun having to restart the server every time I make a change.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Well, it worked. As I mentioned, it has to be some kind of temporary memory issue or cache. A bug maybe?
I've had the same issue, where the data source on Data Server is not updated with changes immediately but will eventually be updated (at least several hours). What is especially odd is that even when the direct connection on Tableau Server is not updated, if I download/create a local copy, the updates are included.
I suspect a caching issue also, but its not worth stopping server to clear cache.
sorry that I can't help, but we do have a similar problem and I opend a ticket at the Tableau support. I will let you know, if there are any news.
By the way, with version 9.0.14, we do not had this problems, there structure changes were updated directly.
Here is my request:
I have a question regarding changes to a MySQL data source structure. That means adding, renaming or deleting fields/columns of a database.
If I have connected against the MySQL database directly from Tableau Desktop 9.3.4 the changes are recognized immediately.
If I connect against the same MySQL database via the Tableau Server (also version 9.3.4) data source, changes are not recognized directly, but available after 24-48 hours.
So, it seems there is some schema caching in place, which we would like to influence, or to push these asasp. Also recreating the Tableau Server data source, or save it under a new name is not helping, it seems the caching is on table level.
It would be great, if you can help us with this.
It looks like the dataserver.exe process (which is used to manage connections to Published Data Sources) is caching the connection information, and not updating when it changes.
Restarting this process resolves the issue (the process will respawn), though I dont recommend doing this on a live server.
with version 10.0 it is working as fine as with version 9.0.
So it seems only 9.3 has this problem.
The issue was reported to TB Support, a case was open, I did a conference call with the support rep, and they confirmed the issue exists. Right now is on development for a fix on the next update, although with TB 10 in the doorstep, I bet they'll wait for the new release. Specially if is already working in the Beta.
Thanks all for the help