2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 1:41 PM by Hector Lavalle

tabjolt question

Hector Lavalle

I will run a load test wit a customer and have some questions below in red, can someone help to calrify please?

• Install Tableau Server in 16 core Architecture and run Load Test with Tab Jolt

“Environment 1”

• Primary (4 core)
      • Worker 1 (8 Core)
      • Worker 2 (8 core)
      • Injector Tabjolt (4 core)

Questions to clarify with customer:

• Can the injector be in another network different from primary and workers? (Customer claims each box would be able to see among each other even they are in different networks, I think the answer is no)
      • Which ports need to be opened in all boxes so as Tableau Sever installation and Tabjolt load test can work? (customer claims they would have ports opened: 80, 443, 8060 which others need to be opened?)
      • Does the account we use to run Tableau Server needs to be in the same network that the account to run tabjolt? (I believe yes and needs to be an admin account)
      • Install Tableau Server in 24 Core Architecture

“Environment 2”

• Primary (4 core)
      • Worker 1 (8 core)
      • Worker 2 (8 core)
      • Worker 3 (8 core)

Questions to clarify with customer:

• Can worker 3 be in a different network than Primary and worker 1 & 2 and be a virtual machine rather than physical? (My understanding is that neither Tableau Server installation and Tabjolt can be in a different network & domain, otherwise it will not work anything).
      • Today customer talked about using a 72 Core environment they have divided in 3 X 24 cores.  They asked if we can run Load Test there for example:
        • Install “Environment 1” in a 24 core box and run load test with Tabjolt, using a 16 core license .
        • Install “Environment 2” in a 24 core box and run load test with Tabjolt, using a 24 core license.
        • I believe doing this way it will not be the same because “Environment 1” even if it is licensed for 16 core it would run in a box with more power than just having 16 core in the box, please help me clarify ?

• 1. Re: tabjolt question
          kaifeng zeng
          • Can the injector be in another network different from primary and workers? (Customer claims each box would be able to see among each other even they are in different networks, I think the answer is no)

I will highly recommend you to have the injector in the same network as the servers, because the network latency will add to the response time and thus reduce the throughput which makes the perf number less reliable. In practice, it is possible to do that.

• Which ports need to be opened in all boxes so as Tableau Sever installation and Tabjolt load test can work? (customer claims they would have ports opened: 80, 443, 8060 which others need to be opened?)

Tabjolt can communicate to server via http. So long as port 80 is opened, it will be able to communicate to the server. The only thing that you will need security permission is when you use tabjolt to collect windows perf counter from the server, you will need to ensure that perf counters can be collected from different network (you can tested that with perfmon).

• Does the account we use to run Tableau Server needs to be in the same network that the account to run tabjolt? (I believe yes and needs to be an admin account)

No, you don't unless you want to collect windows performance counter in that case, you will need to impersonate.

• Can worker 3 be in a different network than Primary and worker 1 & 2 and be a virtual machine rather than physical? (My understanding is that neither Tableau Server installation and Tabjolt can be in a different network & domain, otherwise it will not work anything).

In practice, it is possible. However, I won't recommend it because of network latency.

• Today customer talked about using a 72 Core environment they have divided in 3 X 24 cores.  They asked if we can run Load Test there for example:
            • Install “Environment 1” in a 24 core box and run load test with Tabjolt, using a 16 core license .
            • Install “Environment 2” in a 24 core box and run load test with Tabjolt, using a 24 core license.
            • I believe doing this way it will not be the same because “Environment 1” even if it is licensed for 16 core it would run in a box with more power than just having 16 core in the box, please help me clarify ?

You could run tabjolt and compare the result for those environments:) The 16 core license scenario should be slower than the 24 core license scenario, given that the server has less cores.

• 2. Re: tabjolt question
            Hector Lavalle

Thank you very much for the insight, this is great info