5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 10:15 PM by Lance Martens

Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data

Lance Martens

Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data

Hi All,

I would appreciate any guidance on how to go about “Double Ranking” my Delay Data.

Logic:

• I have delay data that is initially Sorted by COUNT of delay events (Highest to Lowest) (Referencing my workbook, Pills: Minor, Remark and Responsibility all Sorted Descending by Count)
      • I then have a SUM of associated delays by duration placed adjacent to each corresponding “COUNT” event (no filtering, just default)

Required:

1. I need to first resolve my Count hierarchy: Referencing my workbook, one can observe that I failed to get my COUNT to populate Highest to Lowest for starters
      2. Lastly, I need to get the Count hierarchy to then populate Highest to Lowest of all events with the “SAME Count value”, i.e. “All the 1x events, 2x events, 3x…..based on their SUM of delay duration value

(E.g. Referencing my workbook, all the 1x occurrences events need to be ranked highest to lowest based on their respective sum of delay duration, and all other occurrences such as 2x, 3x, 4x…..that have the same count value)

Note! 

• My workbook is attached

Any guidance will be most appreciated,

Cheers,

Lance

• 1. Re: Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data
          swaroop.gantela

Lance,

Please see if the attached could be a first step for you.

I followed the directions on this link about nested sorting:

Nested Sorting | Tableau Software

It looked like I needed to create a combined field of the Remark and the Count of Total Downtime.

Not sure if it was necessary, but I created a Level of Detail Calculation to get the count:

{ FIXED [Minor Delay],[Remark],[Responsibility],[UG Business Unit],[Reporting Week],[Scheduled],[Process]:COUNT([Total Down Time (min)])}

I put the CountDownTime on Columns

Then I combined the Remark with the CountDownTime, and put that on Columns.

This combined field was sorted by the Sum of TotalDownTime.

I put also the Remark, and hid the other two fields I had added.

210518rank.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data
            Lance Martens

Hi Swaroop,

You were spot on mate, my model presents beautifully now!

Once again my field of understanding has been broadened by a fellow data colleague.

One closing question:

• You mentioned in your last line that you “Hid the other two field you had added
            • What two fields are you referring to?

Much appreciated for you’re your support!

Cheers,

Lance

• 3. Re: Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data
              swaroop.gantela

Lance,

Glad it worked out for you.

Apologies for not being clear.

To get the Counts to sort in the right order and to group them together ,

I put the [CountDownTime] dimension on the Rows Shelf after [MinorDelay].

Without that, everything was sorting only by the SUM(TotalDownTime)

I also put the combined dimension (Remarks&CountDownTime) on the Rows shelf,

which is the one that is sorted by SUM(TotalDownTime). But due to the combination,

it shows up as "TG advance, 9".  So I also added the pure [Remarks] field to the Rows shelf.

I then right clicked on both of those pills and unchecked "Show Header",

which keeps them in place to do all the sorting, but hides them from the view.

210518rank2.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data
                Lance Martens

Swaroop,

Appreciate you taking the time to clarify how to go about formatting the final view, got it now.

Question:

Could I ask that you consider connecting and following me as well on the forum, it would be great to have a mentor such as yourself to bounce ideas off from time to time as I build my asset performance management workbooks?

Thanx again mate!

Cheers,

Lance

• 5. Re: Assistance required with “Double Ranking” of Delay Data
                  Lance Martens

Hi Swaroop,

I would appreciate any guidance on how to go about “Nested Sorting” my Delay Data. I posted the request to the forum, t
                  his request is a continuation after my initial post regarding “Double Ranking” which was successfully resolved by you.

Any guidance will be most appreciated, 

Cheers, 

Lance