3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 5:51 AM by khalid norat

Data connection for a map visualization

Winson Lui

HI,

I have 2 excel spreadsheets.

One includes two columns, sales figure and country name short form (e.g. GBR, CHN)

Another one is a refercne list for the country code including two columns also. Column A shows the full country name (The United Kingdom) and column B show the country code (e.g. GBR).

I would like to visulise the data on a map with colour gradient by sales figure.

Since not all the short form of the country names may be recoognised by Tableau, I would like to make use of the reference list.

Would you please tell me how I can visualise the data on a map based on the sales figure in one spreadsheet and the country list in another spreadsheet?

Thanks.

This is what I currenly have.

• 1. Re: Data connection for a map visualization
          khalid norat

Stick the data on 2 separate sheets in the same excel workbook

Connect to the excel file from tableau

you will be able to drag both sheets on to the data connection view where you can set relationships

You need a left join with you figures on the left and reference sheet on the right

once you have done this

if your country names have not been recognised as a geo field (World Logo next to Field name) then right click the dimension go to geographical role and select country

Now pull the country and measure required on to sheet and select Map on show me

anything else you need help with give me a shout or if you get stuck following the above instructions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data connection for a map visualization
            Winson Lui

Thanks.

It is useful.

• 3. Re: Data connection for a map visualization
              khalid norat

Please mark as helpful and if it has answered your question please mark the thread as answered.

If you have any further questions or unable to produce the visualisation you require please share some sample data or sample workbook and myself or another community member can assist