3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 4:07 PM by Christina Gremore

View data function not showing the correct data?

Peter Hanges

Hi!

I'm using Tableau to visualize metrics for a simple dataset; it shows marketing Campaign Responses, Leads, SALs, and SQLs over time (Screenshot attached). 

Here's the problem that I'm encountering: Lets say I right click on SQL's for 2016 Q2 and hit "View Data".  Now what I assume should be happening is that Tableau would give me the records for all SQLs in Q2.  What is happening, however, is that it is showing me all of the records for 2016 Q2 regardless of whether it's a CR, Lead, SAL, or SQL.  In other words, Tableau is respecting the column filter but not the row one.  Any advice on how to extract just the specific records that I want? 

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: View data function not showing the correct data?
          John Sobczak

That is because the columns ARE the LEVEL of DETAIL in the view (i.e.. the dimensions).  The rows are only measures and not the level of detail defined by a dimension.

• 2. Re: View data function not showing the correct data?
            Peter Hanges

Thanks for your response. 

So is there no way to pull in Tableau to pull the level of filtering that I'm after?

• 3. Re: View data function not showing the correct data?
              Christina Gremore

Hi Peter,

I think what John is getting at is - this is due to the structure of your data. You have "measure names" on rows, and that's kind of a false dimension. The 'View Data' window isn't going to filter out specific columns of data. To get the kind of view you're talking about, I think you have two options:

1. Create a separate crosstab type sheet that will show the more detailed info, then use dashboard actions to have your first table filter the second table.

2. Change the structure of your data, so that instead of having one column for CR, one column for SQL, etc, you have one column that's like "TYPE" and its field members have values like CR, SQL, etc. Essentially pivot the data.

I suspect option 1 will be a touch easier. If you'd like more detailed assistance, please post a sample workbook. (You can add an attachment by clicking on "Advanced editor and add an attachment" in the upper right-hand corner of the reply box.)

If this answer resolves your issue, please mark it as the correct answer. Thanks!