2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 10:59 AM by Partha Dutta

Multithreading/Multiprocessing in Python Tableau SDK

Partha Dutta

I'm working on a program to work on creating TDE extracts from multiple CSV files. My goal is to read the files in parallel and then write to a single TDE. Primarily doing this to increase the performance of the overall process. I keep running into threading issues though. Even if I try to use locks around the critical pieces of code that write to the extract, I keep getting errors like the following:

Exception in thread Thread-92:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/threading.py", line 813, in __bootstrap_inner

self.run()

File "mkextract.py", line 56, in run

table.insert(row_arr[r])

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tableausdk/Extract.py", line 523, in insert

raise Exceptions.TableauException(result, Exceptions.GetLastErrorMessage())

TableauException: TableauException (304): Invalid Table handle

One of the threads actually succeeds writing to the TDE, but the other one fails. Any advice?

Thanks, Partha

• 1. Re: Multithreading/Multiprocessing in Python Tableau SDK
          Jeff D

Hi Partha, multithreading is not supported in the SDK.  If performance is critical, I would use performance monitoring tools to identify the bottleneck.  If the bottleneck is not the SDK, then you could use multiple producer threads feeding into a single consumer thread (the thread for the Tableau SDK).  If the bottleneck is the SDK (the more likely scenario), then consider a hardware upgrade (e.g, faster CPU or higher performance disk subsystem, depending on what you see in the performance profiles).

• 2. Re: Multithreading/Multiprocessing in Python Tableau SDK
            Partha Dutta

Jeff,

I have re-written my app to use the multiple producer/single consumer model. Still facing the bottlenecks. I've tried using a RAMDISK as well for the disk subsystem and still am not getting the performance I need. Is there no way to do a large batch of inserts with the SDK? Is it even supported by the tdeserver?