1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 1:28 PM by Michael Hesser

Using a distinct filter to cascade down to other more general filters

Clayton Chapman

So I've been racking my brain trying to figure this one out, hoping someone else might already have the answer.

Basically I have a database of techs with names, their shift, and their tiers (level 1, 2, 3 etc). What I want is the ability for the users to pick the technicians name, and then have that change filters for Tier and Shift. This would allow their supervisors to pick the techs name and then have two workbooks - one with tech specific information and another with average information so that they could compare the tech to all the other techs in the same shift and tiers.

Right now they way we have it is that they have to pick the techs name, then the shift, and then their tier. But this is not intuitive and I think it should just update automatically. But I can't figure out how to get this to work.

Here is some test data for example:

NameShiftTierScores
      ClaytonbrunchL196
      SammorningL295
      jakebrunchL197
      johnnightL384
      beckynightL330

- So according to this if I choose Clayton I'll have a workbook with only Clayton's information and then another workbook with the average of people in the Brunch and L1 tier.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

-Clayton

• 1. Re: Using a distinct filter to cascade down to other more general filters
          Michael Hesser

Hi Clayton. Are you able to accomplish this through a couple of Dashboard Actions?

Your primary worksheet would show everybody...

...your secondary worksheet would show your averages (by Shift by Tier).

You Dashboard Action would filter worksheet #2 by Shift and Tier when any employee in worksheet #1 is clicked.

A second Dashboard Action operates on worksheet #1, limiting it only to the Name, Shift, and Tier. In this way, a click limits the list to just those employees who share that Name, Shift & Tier (Clayton, Brunch, L1). Clicking a second time would display all values.

Let me know what you think or if you would like me to attach a little .twbx sample. Good luck!