1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 9:12 AM by Joe Oppelt

Using 3 different data sources

Brendan O'Donoghue

Hello, I am wondering if its possible to use 3 different data sources where only 2 contain relevant information and the 3rd is used to merge the other two. To build a a basic picture I have Source #1 with Category and Tracking #. Source #2 has Tracking # and Invoice #. Source #3 with $ Value and Invoice #.

My goal is to link Category with $ value using Source #2 to link them together. Is this something that can be done in Tableau or should I be doing this in per-processing to merge the sources together?

• 1. Re: Using 3 different data sources
          Joe Oppelt

The "parent-child" relationship can have only one parent source (thus it's called the Primary Data Source) and all the rest of the data sources have to be secondary sources.

So you can't go from Source 1 to source 2, and then expect to go from source 2 to source 3 in the same sheet.

However, you can go from Source 2 to Source 1, and also go from Source 2 to Source 3 within the same sheet.  Make Source 2 primary and Sources 1 and 3 secondary.

So it's not as relational as pure SQL would let you do.

Whether or not your data shaping will work for your specific example is hard to say given the limited info so far.