9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 11:04 AM by Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Create Age group

Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Hello all,

I have a date of a birth field as "DATE" . The date field is recorded in  "mm/dd/yyyy" format. I want to create age group like 11-15 Years, 16-20 years, 21-25 and so on. Please advise. Thanks

GG

• 1. Re: Create Age group
          cor.bader

Here is a example of how the calculation would look using super store data:

If YEAR([Order Date]) <= YEAR(TODAY())-3 then "Group 1"

ELSEIF YEAR([Order Date]) <= YEAR(TODAY())-1 AND YEAR([Order Date]) >= YEAR(TODAY())-3 then "Group 2"

Else "Other"

END

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create Age group
            Joe Oppelt

To find the number of years between your date and today, use the DATEDIFF() function.

In your case it would be

DATEDIFF('year', [your date field], TODAY())

Output is an integer for number of years.

Create a calc like that.  It will give you a number of years for each row.  Group them by values as you need.

You can find a lot of stuff about date functions here:

Date Functions

• 3. Re: Create Age group
              Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Thank you for your help. It works great, but I am having difficulty with creating the third field. Thaks again.

GG

• 4. Re: Create Age group
                Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Thank you Joe for the solution, really appreciated.

GG

• 5. Re: Create Age group
                  Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Thank you again, It worked pretty good for me.

GG

• 6. Re: Create Age group
                    Tiffiny Townsend

Hi Gurpreet,

I used your example to create age groups, swapping the field in your example for DOB field, to create 10 year age groups.

I have am getting an error message "Expected Then to Match IF at the character 0". Am I missing something? Version 10.5.

• 7. Re: Create Age group
                      Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Hello Tiffiny,

Thanks for asking, just to confirm if you have [Patient_DOB] field in Date format. I have encountered the said error a couple of time when I run Oracle SQL query but the only fix happens to be within the query. Thanks

• 8. Re: Create Age group
                        Tiffiny Townsend

Hi Gurpreet,

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, the DOB field is Date format. Lynn

• 9. Re: Create Age group
                          Gurpreet Singh Goraya

Hello Tiffiny,

In the past, I have extracted DateofBirth as number format (19220416) and then converted DateofBirth measure to Date format by using the following LOD:

DATEADD('day',[DATEOFBIRTH] % 100 - 1,

DATEADD('month', INT(([DATEOFBIRTH] % 10000) / 100) - 1,

DATEADD('year', INT([DATEOFBIRTH] / 10000) - 1900,

#1900-01-01#)))

It converts Number format to Date Format and then used the following calculation for creating age group:

IF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<16 THEN "Under 16"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=16 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=20 THEN "16-20"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=21 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=25 THEN "21-25"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=26 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=30 THEN "26-30"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=31 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=35 THEN "31-35"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=36 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=40 THEN "36-40"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=41 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=45 THEN "41-45"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=46 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=50 THEN "46-50"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=51 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=55 THEN "51-55"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=56 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=60 THEN "56-60"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=61 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=65 THEN "61-65"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=66 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=70 THEN "66-70"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=71 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=75 THEN "71-75"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=76 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=80 THEN "76-80"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=81 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=85 THEN "81-85"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=86 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=90 THEN "86-90"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=91 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=95 THEN "91-95"

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())>=96 AND DATEDIFF('year', [Dateof Birth], TODAY())<=100 THEN "96-100"

Else "Over 100"

END

I noticed that you are missing "DATEDIFF" from your calculations. Thanks

GG