2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 11:19 PM by Christian Go

view succeeding purchases

Christian Go

Hi Guys,

I need an alternative to the solution I made.

I attached a draft for my current solution to my problem. My problem is to check what are the succeeding purchases of a customer.

So on my dashboard (dashboard1),

1) you select on the list

2) click apply

This approach works well on the sample data I attached (10k rows) but on production it runs really slow since I have around 2m data points (5-10 minutes loading on Tableau Server prod).

I tried a parameter and set approach before but the problem is that it needs to be updated if there is a new product added (there is frequent product launches and the client prefers no maintenance on the dashboard).

I also added this approach on the file (dashboard name: old solution) if you can check on some workaround on this.

I have also check on data blending two data sources but there are issues on aggregates (we're restricted to live connection).

Thanks,

• 1. Re: view succeeding purchases
          Tom W

Is there a reason you didn't use a standard filter with multi select?

• 2. Re: view succeeding purchases
            Christian Go

yup so I can't use the multi-select filter since it would limit the rows to what is just selected:

Using multi-select filter:

The requirement for the worksheet is to answer a question like 'after purchasing a phone/TV what is the next likely purchase of these customers?' or 'what did the customers bought along with phone/TV?'

So on below screenshot, so we can answer that they also bought Accessories along with the two categories and are likely to buy more of those 3 more categories in the succeeding purchases.

But the problem with this solution I posted is it is extremely slow when working with large datasets (2m+ rows) and it takes about 15min to load on tableau server when applying the filters.

Thanks,