1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 9:28 AM by khalid norat

Task Counts Over Time

John Harnden

Hello!

I am a relative Tableau newbie and can't seem to find this particular question answered here.  I have created some gantt charts from data that has milestones with estimated start and end dates.  I'd like to add a chart that shows the number of active tasks per team over time to give us a idea of simple resource constraints (without the complexity of allocation %).

For a given team,  I have task 1 which has a start date of 1/1/2016 and an end date of 6/16/2016 and I have  task 2 has a start date of 6/1/2016 and an end date of 7/1/2016.  I would want the time series to show 1 task from 1/1/2016 to 5/31/2016 and 2 tasks from 6/1/2016 to 6/16/2016 and then 1 task for 6/17/2016 to 7/1/2016.

Any ideas as to how I can accomplish this in Tableau?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Task Counts Over Time
          khalid norat

The problem you are going to have hear is counting the number of tasks on each date as every date is not included in your data set.

You can only aggregate on the data that is available.

To get around this you will need to create a separate table with a list of all dates that you are required to report on.

You can then link this if it created in same datasource or use it as blended data.

If you share a sample workbook I can help you achieve this.