5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 8:25 AM by koushik bowinipally

Which graph should I use?

Shreya Gupta

I have one dimension as country, there are more then 1500 countries. I have two measures conversation minutes and call cost.
      As countries are in huge number. How can I represent my data.

Please help.!

• 1. Re: Which graph should I use?
          Tom W

It's going to depend entirely on what you're trying to measure and how you're trying to measure it.

Without and data or context, it's hard to advise specifically. Would a scatterplot with labels work? Maybe you'd be best showing a % of total as a bar chart? Perhaps limiting to a top n countries is best.

• 2. Re: Which graph should I use?
            Shreya Gupta

Hi Tom,

I want to measure the call cost with respect to the conversation time for all the countries..
            I tried scatter plot.. but it was not giving the required information.

• 3. Re: Which graph should I use?
              Tom W

It's hard to give you a real answer here because only you know the pro's and con's for each chart type.

Perhaps if you provide a sample Tableau Packaged workbook with your data or some example data, we could run a couple of options, but I don't really know how to help you other than to say that you should try each of the chart types and decide which fits best.

• 4. Re: Which graph should I use?
                Michael Hesser

You have A LOT of data to deal with, so perhaps your first priority (as Tom W suggested) is to determine how you and users will want to use the viz. You've come face to face with the problem: there's too much data to reasonably view at once.

Perhaps you want a single select drop-down for country to investigate, and then plot the results with a heat map showing the greatest variations.

If you link this to a table of distance, the user can limit it to deciles (by distance); you could also make this a multi-select variable so the user could sort by distance, avg. minutes, or avg. cost.

You also combine this with a geographical (filled) map... as the user hovers over each country, bar graphs under the map dynamically respond...

Now there are a lot of pitfalls with this (for example you wouldn't be able to compare Canada vs. USA rates), but you could come up with something fairly sleek that may serve your purpose (I can't take credit for the pic... you can see it in action at The arms spending map of the world | News | theguardian.com ).

This certainly isn't not perfect, but it may give you some ideas. Looking forward to learn more about your data!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Which graph should I use?
                  koushik bowinipally

Hello,

It may depend as everyone said,

In my point of you, as you are using countries(dimension), using geometric maps is very important if you are trying to view every country. and also in the two measures conversation minutes and call cost can be represented by size, colour on geometric maps.

In overall, using Maps can be a opt one.

Thnaks

koushik