1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 3:49 AM by khalid norat

Automating Excel Data Source Refresh

Bartosz Baranowski

Hello everyone!

I'm a Tableau user since almost a year but it's the first time I decided to ask for help.

Each month I'm preparing and refreshing multiple reports. I would like to make it as optimal as possible. Currently I have a report I would like to automate.

I have around 50 Tableau files (.twbx), each connected to two Excel files (in total around 100 Excel files). The excel files are being modified every month - new data is being added. What I currently do is opening each of those 50 Tableau files, clicking "Data" -> "Refresh All Extracts..." and waiting several minutes for the data to refresh. Then I'm performing some manual actions: changing parameters, making sure the data is correct, saving a PDF extract. Refreshing all the files takes me almost the whole day. Once done I can send out the Tableau and PDF files to the customers.

Is there a way to automate the refresh process and "Print to PDF..." command? I tried reading about it but haven't found a suitable solution. I tried making a batch file but realized it works only for Tableau Server, not Desktop. Perhaps there is a simple solution I'm just not seeing.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Bartosz