Where is data coming from? Database? File? Extract?
Are you publishing datasource separately?
The data is coming from an Actian Vector Database where the live connection has already been published on the tableau server so when I connect to the data through desktop, I select the connection of Tableau Server and then select the live datasouce that is under my project/folder. I know extract could be a workaround however we need live in order to see current status as this is an operational dashboard for users to determine any actions that they need to perform and static information will not be sufficient. Thanks.
What if you run Extract every 15 - 30 min ??
you can check following things.
1. If you have any drop down filters, make sure they are set to show all value instead of relevant.
2. If there are too many values for filter, change it to text based filter instead of drop down.
3. set dashboard size to fixed resolution instead of automatic.
4. Try to load less data by default.
5. Check dashboard action filters and make sure no unwanted sheets are selected in destination. by default, tableau selects all worksheets.
Hope it helps.
I would suggest you submit a support ticket and we'll take a look at the differences.
Create same workbook with embedded and published datasources, view them both (stick to same interactions or no interactions) and zip up logs.
We'll take a look and see what can be done.