1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 12:22 PM by Kenneth McBride

Protest ended....

Shawn Wallwork

Each year I protest against the idea that folks can (should) be able to join our forums and use a common Avatar. This year's most popular was:

One of the things that differentiate our forums from most forums, is we actually try to get to 'know' each other. That simple fact keeps us connected. The more you stay anonymous for us, to each other, the more this forum community simply degenerates into a MS type answer board.

If you want to help us maintain a sense of community, and a sense of communal purpose, then please take the time to add a unique individual avatar that identifies you as someone special. Do that and we'll start to get to know you, understand how you use Tableau, and the sorts of things you both struggle with, and the knowledge you can probably contribute to other members of our community.

The first action you need to take to become a true member of our community is to post a unique Avatar. Then we'll start recognizing who you are, how we can help, and how you can help our community!

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Protest ended....
          Kenneth McBride

So you're protesting the use of common avatars? And if I'm understanding you, I'm not "someone special" unless I have some custom avatar that defines me, like rows/columns of dots?

And without a custom avatar I'm not worth you getting to know me, understanding my Tableau use cases, or trusting me to contribute to this community? Shawn, you need another hobby and a glass of bourbon. This might be the silliest thing I've read in a long time.

Ken

New common avatar user and unworthy of being recognized since 2016.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Protest ended....
            Shawn Wallwork

Kenneth, I didn't actually say anything like the way you paraphrased my comments. I simply meant that with a common avatar used by hundreds of other people you are much more difficult to 'track', to get to know, and distinguish from others. I said nothing about your worthiness, nor did I imply anything about worthiness to be a part of this community. Kenneth, put your glass of bourbon down, and reread my post when you sober up.

--Shawn

PS: The Tableau forums is my hobby.

EDIT: Kenneth, thanks for editing your comment, and taking out that whole bit about 'worthiness'. Cheers.

• 4. Re: Protest ended....
              khalid norat

Guys please Stop fighting over the bourbon.

Just send it over here and I will be happy to enjoy the bourbon in peace.

Hi Kenneth

I think what shawn is trying to say is having a unique avatar as opposed to common/pre-set avatar just highlights a persons enthusiasm to be an active member of the community.

This however does not mean that the person with a common avatar is not enthusiastic or an active member.

I just use the points system under peoples avatar to understand how frequent a user is I think this is a much better indicator.- I think we should stop judging a book by the cover and recognise people for there efforts and actions.

Anyway still waiting on that bourbon

• 5. Re: Protest ended....
                Cathy Bridges

I'm chiming in to support Chuck Hooper's idea to not only have a unique avatar, but to use your own face. That way, when you see people at conferences you actually recognize them. When I went to TC15, I immediately recognized Chris Love, Joe Mako, etc. because I "got to know" them on the forums, and when I saw them in person, they looked just like the online persona I'd become familiar with.

This worked so well, in fact, that Chuck Hooper walked up to me and shook my hand, saying I'd had a great presentation. But I hadn't done a presentation. I just followed his advice and tagged him in my tweet (I also made my Twitter avatar my face).

So I look forward to meeting all of you in person, and I hope you're wearing Minecraft-style masks with all your dots in place, so I don't have to stare at your navel to know it's you. ;-)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Protest ended....
                  Toby Erkson

Just don't change your avatar every full moon <cough>shawn</cough>

For me, seeing an avatar that's not part of the stock set helps me 'recognize' someone -- for better or for worse, Ken

Personally, I much prefer single malt scotch but I won't necessarily turn away a very good bourbon

Cathy, if you want to see my ugly mug there's my profile page -- putting it out there for everyone, every day, in avatar form would be bad for the forum.  The li'l hottie with me is my Trini Grrl (my wife is from Trinidad)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Protest ended....
                    Hope Stiles

This post and its comments were so entertaining that I am no longer a purple starfish like everyone else .

Of course, I had to google how to come up with my own individual avatar, but there's a site for that: http://doppelme.com/

DoppelMe - Free Dynamic Avatars

• 8. Re: Protest ended....
                      Shawn Wallwork

Kathy, thanks for the post. In fact if I can come up with a picture of myself, I'll do what Toby suggests below above and put it on my profile page, so you don't have to stare at my navel (not my best feature). I don't have such a pretty mug, and would get depressed, if I had to look at my fat face everyday I logged into the forums. So instead I use a derivative of my company logo.

Of course my point in all this was, let's all use unique avatars, and get better acquainted, but you got that.

--Shawn

• 9. Re: Protest ended....
                        Shawn Wallwork

OK Kathy it's now on my profile page, here you go:

And no I wasn't on the Oracle team who won the America's cup in the greatest comeback in America's Cup history, but I did get to watch it, and touch this beautiful cup. And give Tableau a bit of a shout out as well!

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 11. Re: Protest ended....
                          kettan

I just use the points system under peoples avatar to understand how frequent a user is I think this is a much better indicator.- I think we should stop judging a book by the cover and recognise people for there efforts and actions.

It would be nice if Jive had recognizable default avatars that reflected the point system, recent activity, and "Member since".

It doesn't have to be so many kinds. Let's say:

1. One for those that haven't contributed as helpers yet and been "members" for
                            • less than a day  ( avatar: 12 or 24 hours clock )
                            • less than a week  ( avatar: calendar week )
                            • less than a month  ( avatar: calendar month )
                            • less than 3 months  ( avatar: spring )
                            • more than 3 months  ( avatar: roots )
                          2. One for those who have contributed and got a correct answer  ( avatar: helping hand )
                          3. One for those with a correct answer badge  ( avatar: badge )

Tableau Community, can Jive change avatars automatically based on point system and alike?

Of course, those with custom avatars shouldn't be overwritten by default avatars, but left alone.

• 12. Re: Protest ended....
                            Toby Erkson

kettan wrote:

khalid norat  wrote:

It would be nice if Jive had recognizable default avatars that reflected the point system, recent activity, and "Member since".

Khalid, while the point system can be a fairly good indicator there are some people we know of who have "gamed" the points system in order to increase their points.  For them it's more about the title   When they do post an actual answer it's either incorrect or typically not that helpful.

kettan, I'm not in favor of a changing avatar.  Even is someone uses a default/stock avatar at least if it doesn't change I still can associate it with a person -- I'm bad with names unless I deal with the person often.  However, having an indicator for the criteria you've listed under the avatar is fine with me   While the "me in 3" badges are a neat idea they are user selected and don't always mean too much, if they are even used at all, whereas having the system apply the indicators you listed would be better.

• 13. Re: Protest ended....
                              Toby Erkson

khalid norat wrote:

To see exactly what someone has 'earned', click on their name

and then click on More >> Reputation

to see all of the badges/merits they have been awarded.

• 14. Re: Protest ended....
                                kettan

PLAN A

Rejected by Toby 

PLAN B

What about a "days since becoming member indicator" that counts to 90 and thereafter quietly disappears?

A "helper indicator" that stays would also be nice.

PLAN C

What about a default avatar that doesn't change for existing users, but is regularly (such as monthly) changed for new users? This I am convinced is possible to do in Jive.

This could be done by having a systemically given default avatar that reflects year and season and makes it easy to recognize new members of the community.

1 2 Previous Next