3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 8:16 AM by Joe Oppelt

Sharing a work book vs view.

Venkatesh A

Hello,

Please consider a work book "WB1" with views "V1" & "V2"

When we publish a workbook to a server and when we access the views V1 & V2 there is a provision to share the views via an URL.

V1 & V2 have separate URL's. So we are able to access the respective views with the corresponding URL.

Question 1:

Is it normal practice to provide separate URL's for different views for the end user even though the views are from the same work book?

Question 2:

Is there any provision to directly share the workbook, so that the user can look at all the views in the work book?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sharing a work book vs view.
          Joe Oppelt

You used the term "views".

In tableau you publish dashboards (or individual sheets) within a workbook.  When you publish a workbook you can select which dashboards you want published.  If you select the "Show Sheets as Tabs" option when you publish, the user will see tabs for all the published items across the top of the screen.  In its simplest form, that's a way for users to navigate from one dashboard to another.

You can also design into your dashboards the concept of ACTIONS.  Users click in certain places, and the specified action occurs.  Most likely that's how the provision for URL access to your other dashboard is created in your application.  But it doesn't have to be a URL action.  It could simply be an action to jump from one tab to another within the same workbook.

Can you post a sample workbook  here so I can see how your application is set up and maybe I can show you how to do the navigation all within the same workbook?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sharing a work book vs view.
            Venkatesh A

Thanks a bunch Joe Oppelt. I am beginning to understand. You have explained in a crisp manner.

Based on your inputs i am tinkering around.

Question 1:

My understanding is if Actions are to work, we are supposed to publish enabling "Sheets as tabs option"?

When time permits, could you please look into the below

Question 2:

Is it normal practice to provide separate URL's for different views for the end user even though the views are from the same work book?

What i meant was: I published a workbook to tableau online from tableau desktop. Now i login into Tableau online as an admin and look at the worksheets within the just published workbook, i see options  to share. Kindly check the highlighted part in the snap shot.

Each worksheet is having a different Share URL. So if we have to share the different worksheets within the same workbook, do we provide each URL for each worksheet? [This is assuming we are not using Show sheets as Tabs]

Tableau-1.png

• 3. Re: Sharing a work book vs view.
              Joe Oppelt

Question 1:

My understanding is if Actions are to work, we are supposed to publish enabling "Sheets as tabs option"?

At my company we always publish with tabs.  It's just the way we do it.

Having said that, your actions will work whether tabs are there or not.  However, I just played with it a bit, and I do see different behavior if tabs are turned off.  When my action goes from dashboard1 to dashboard 2 without tabs, my browser opens a separate tab.  I didn't expect that to happen, but it's what I see now.  Each action that goes to a new dashboard opens up a new browser tab.  On the other hand, when I have it published with tabs, each action opens in the same browser tab (which is the behavior I would expect, and the behavior I want the users to see.)

Question 2:

Yes, each published dashboard (or each published sheet that's not on a dashboard) gets a separate URL.  There ARE uses for these URLs sometimes, but usually we give the users one single URL that points to a "Main Dashboard".  (At our company we have this as a standard.  Each workbook has a main dashboard of some sort, usually a high level view of the entire project, and then drill-down actions to more specific information.)  In all cases, when we do an action to drill to a subsequent dashboard, we also give the user an action to return to the main dashboard.  We train our users to use the actions we provide, not to use the tabs across the top.  many times the action to go to a drill-down dashboard passes one or more fields in the action to drill into more specific information.  Sheets on these drilldown dashboards expect filter values, and if the user simply clicks the tab at the top, those filter values aren't passed, and the drill-down sheets become messy.  (As a side note:  In many cases I can detect on the drill-down sheet that a single filter-value is not in effect, so I pop out a sheet that says, "You did not come here via the menu option.  Click here to return to main menu...")

So even though there is a separate URL for each dashboard, we only give the URL to the main dashboard.

In the attached workbook (Tableau V9.0) I hacked up two dashboards that are identical except for a text box that says Dash 1 or Dash 2 to differentiate the two.  Click on the sheet, and an Action sends you to the other dashboard.  Keep clicking and you'll just keep going back and forth...  If I were to give this to a user, I would only give the URL to Dashboard 1.  Users would get to Dashboard 2 via the action.  If you publish this with tabs, you'll see the two dashboard tabs at the top.

Here's an interesting item.  Even though there are dashboards and sheets in this workbook, when I publish a workbook I only publish the dashboards, and never publish the individual sheets that are on the dashboards.  Users just see tabs for the dashboards that way, and not 100 other tabs for all the individual sheets.