2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 4:53 PM by Edmund Zhu

Enabling SSL disables the web portal access

Edmund Zhu

Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue.

I've assigned a self-signed SSL to the tableau server. The procedure I use is as follows:

Stop Tableau Server

Stop Windows Services - Tableau Server Application Manager, Tableau Server License Manager

Edit the SSL field (with cert and key from openssl (using the reference guide provided by the help section))

When finalizing the changes, it usually takes forever to commit. Afterwards, I reboot the services in the following order:

Windows (License Manager, Application Manager)

Tableau Server Start

However, when attempting to load either localhost or localhost:8000 (the port I dedicated using for https). The page simply does not load.

So I go back to turning off the SSL feature (again, takes painstakingly long). And only to find that the normal services seems to work. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Also. I've attempted to submit a case to tech-support. It has been 2 weeks with multiple exchanges of emails to assign me an engineer. But no luck at all....I'm completely stuck on the topic and desperately need to get the https running for my users....

• 1. Re: Enabling SSL disables the web portal access
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Edmund Zhu,

I have moved this post to Server Administration .  This is the community Tableau Server area of the forums where our Server admin's hang out and assist with Server issues.

Patrick

• 2. Re: Enabling SSL disables the web portal access
            Edmund Zhu

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the move on my post. This was ultimately resolved by a technical support personnel that called me via phone. We ended up discovering that on a self-signed certificate. You have to add the cert to your local machine that has the Tableau Client. Once it is added. The certificate will work with the client/server setup.

Thanks, and please close the thread.

Edmund Zhu

Windows & Network Administrator

Crescendo Bioscience

341 Oyster Point Blvd | South San Francisco, CA 94080

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. Legal privilege may apply and is not waived for unintended recipients. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender as soon as possible, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments whether stored electronically, physically, or otherwise.  Crescendo Bioscience Inc. and its affiliates accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus or malware transmitted by this email.