6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 5:41 AM by Ashish Chaudhari

Tableau extensions

ajay tomar

Hi,

Can we use any extensions in Tableau. If yes, then do we have any extension for maps on similar lines with Google cluster for Qlikview. Actually I am trying to create a filled map charts and as and when I click on any state then it should zoomed and show details for that state only.

Thanks,

Ajay

• 1. Re: Tableau extensions
          Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Ajay,

Is this you are looking for?

After clicking on California you will get the below result.

I have added below action to get the result. Don't forget to update the target filters as displayed below.

I am also attaching the twbx workbook to the post. Let me know if this solves your query.

-Ashish Chaudhari

• 2. Re: Tableau extensions
            Ashish Chaudhari

If you click on map again you will get the full map back. Forgot to add that.

• 3. Re: Tableau extensions
              ajay tomar

Thanks Ashish for your reply. Sorry I missed one point in my post. So once I click on any state then that state should be zoomed and cities of the state should be displayed with their sales. In all, I am looking for drilldown functionality in maps, can we have such functionality?

Thanks,

Ajay

• 4. Re: Tableau extensions
                Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Ajay,

City level filled maps are not possible in this case since the city level coordinates are not there in data and that aren't auto genrated by tableau.

Once I put City in details Filled map gets changed to the symbol map. Please refer to the below screenshot for the same.

If you do it you won't be able to click on state.

Instead of this what you can do is create two maps (one for the state and other for the Cities) but I don't think you will opt for that solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari

• 5. Re: Tableau extensions
                  ajay tomar

Ashish,

I was also doing on the same lines but it is not what is required. Actually in Qlikview, there is an option to install an extension named "Google Clusters" through which we can achieve this functionality. I was wondering whether we can install any such extension in Tableau or not ?

Thanks,

Ajay

• 6. Re: Tableau extensions
                    Ashish Chaudhari

There is an option of adding such a extensions as below.

After clicking on the map services, you will get the below screen.

You can add those service.

If you click on Add, you will get an option to add map service from WMS or Mapbox.

If you click on Import button it will ask you for .TMS file which is tableau map source file.

You can read about them in more detail on this community. I will post few links in this post which might help you later today.

But I believe you will have to generate the data for the city filled maps then it will be possible to get a nested filled map which you are looking for.

I still have concerns on the functionality that you are looking for. Just give a thought to it.

If you still manage to create the nested filled map by state and city. How you will select the particular state then since it is been broken down in the cities. So in order to select the state you will have to select all the cities of that particular state & I am sure that's what you not looking for.

Instead I will suggest you to just add a filter for state and create the symbol map for cities.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari