5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 12:47 PM by John Beach

Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns

Michael Carpenter

I've put together a dashboard that uses an extract of data from Excel - with the data in Excel referenced via a named range ("tabData")

I've now added some extra columns into "tabData" in Excel, but when I go to refresh the data in Tableau I can't get it to 'see' the new columns. Any suggestions?

Michael

• 1. Re: Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns
          Adam Crahen

Is the source an extract in Tableau?  Try and switch back to a live connection and then extract again.

• 2. Re: Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns
            Michael Carpenter

It was an extract, but I tried that and it didn't seem to help. I just tried it with a very basic excel file

agegender
            2m
            3f
            4m
            5m
            6f
            7m

to which I linked to, then added a third field and extended the named range,

agegendereth
            2me1
            3fe2
            4me3
            5me1
            6fe2
            7me3

but it still won't find the extra data when I refresh. But I noticed that if I swap the 2nd and 3rd cols..

ageethgender
            2e1m
            3e2f
            4e3m
            5e1m
            6e2f
            7e3m

.. it then ignores the 'gender' column. I'm beginning to think Tableau doesn't really use the named range but swaps it for absolute cell reference?

I've also did my example without named ranges and just used sheet names and everything worked properly! This is a bit annoying as I'd used named ranges as I'd thought they'd give me more control.

Michael

• 3. Re: Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns
              Adam Crahen

Hi Michael-

I think the only purpose of using named ranges if you don't want to format the excel file for tableau to consume (i.e., you don't want to remove blanks, title, etc. at the top.)

I've never bothered with a named range, but was able to replicate what you are experiencing. If you know you are connecting to Excel with Tableau, why bother with the named range?  Just put your field names in row one and data below.  You can then add stuff and Tableau will automatically pick it up when you refresh.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns
                Michael Carpenter

Thanks for checking. I'll switch to sheet references for now (I think they should either fix this feature or drop it - there's not much point linking via a named range if it doesn't update properly)

Michael

• 5. Re: Help with linking to excel data - importing extra columns
                  John Beach

I am experiencing the same problem as Michael. I use an Excel named range as a data source.

I have additional data/calculations in other columns in the spreadsheet that I do not want to import into Tableau or list in the data source.

Does anyone else have suggestions to fix this problem?

Using Michael's same example, I do not want to include firstname or lastname so I have age and gender identified as a range:

firstnamelastnameagegender
                  JasonFarnsworth2m
                  JaneCard3f
                  RonFrank4m
                  StanGrant5m
                  KarenDrake6f
                  StevenHardy7m

John