5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 1:59 PM by Joe Oppelt Branched from an earlier discussion.

"No Data" message?

Nandhakumar Ramanathan

Hi Joshua,

I have non floating dashboard layout for my client. But the client is asking for this kind of scenario i know very well this can't be achieve without floating. Please let me know is there any other work around for this No data text to be displayed when there is no data.

I am using Tableau 9.2.

Regards,

Nandha

• 1. Re:  "No Data" message?
          Joe Oppelt

I branched this to a brand new thread. 

Original thread was:

"No Data" message?

It's a 3-year old thread.

background:  Solution in the old thread was to have a text box floating below the data sheet.  Text box would say, "No data found."  And if the sheet comes up empty, then the text box would display.

Nanda -- Is there a particular reason why you can't float your data sheet?

Consider this:  before you add anything to your dashboard, float a container onto the dashboard.  Size it so that it is precisely the size of your dashboard.  Now when you drag things into it, that container will behave just like your naked dashboard.  Objects would tile in it just like they would if you didn't have the container.  But it gives you the liberty to float something beneath it.

• 2. Re:  "No Data" message?
            Nandhakumar Ramanathan

Hi Joe,

One of my team mate developed this dashboard with any structure. I am able to float the text object "No Data" but except this object I want rest of the object in the same position. So I am not able to send this text object to the backward position.

Regards,

Nandha

• 3. Re:  "No Data" message?
              Joe Oppelt

I don't know of another way to suggest you do this.

If you don't have many objects on the dashboard, I recommend that you float everything in the same locations they are currently positioned in their tiled position.

Attached I have a very simple dashboard.  It is all tiled.  When you are looking at this dashboard in Desktop, you will see this:

In the Layout shelf near the lower left corner, you will see "Dashboard", and below that, "> Tiled".  Click the triangle and expand it.  It will then say "> Horizontal".  Expand that.  Keep expanding all the layers until there is nothing more to expand.

Then open a second copy of this workbook.  Expand it as well.  Make one of your copies the one you will modify.  Start at the bottom object.  Click the object in the layout container.  Below the layout container you will get a "Measure" container that lets you manipulate the objects.  Click the "Floating" box.  That will change the object to a floating object, and it will activate the position and size boxes for you to type in numbers.  Go back to the second copy of the workbook.  Click the same object (but don't click "floating".)  The Measure shelf is greyed out, but you can still see the physical coordinates of your object.  Type those numbers into the coordinates in the copy of the workbook you are modifying.  you will see that the object now sits where it originally was, but now it is floating there.

Do that for all your objects.

Now you can float the "No Data" text box below the sheet.

It's tedious, but it's the only way I can see to do this.  I hope you don't have a million separate objects on that dashboard...

• 4. Re:  "No Data" message?
                Nandhakumar Ramanathan

I have lot of objects in the dashboard. If there is one or two i can float and easily do this.

Regards,

Nandha

• 5. Re:  "No Data" message?
                  Joe Oppelt

OK, I think I have a way for you to do that.  See attached.

In Dashboard3 I threw a whole bunch of stuff to make a busy dashboard.  It is all tiled.

My goal is to float "Third Text Box" without moving any of the other objects.

My first step was to float "Third Text Box".  Click on the object.  Click "Floating" for it.  You will see the results in Dashboard 3a.  Third Text Box is floating, but it repositioned "4th box", which moved to fill the space "Third Text Box" occupied in the tiled layout.  You can click on "4th box" in the two dashboards (Dashboard 3 and Dashboard3a) to see the movement.

Go to Dashboard 4.  Here I dragged "Third Text Box" out of the way temporarily.  (Since it is floating, you can drag it anywhere.)  then I inserted a "blank" object in the same location that "Third text box" used to occupy.  You can click on "4th box" to see how that repositioned itself, and you can click the space above "4th box" to see the border of the blank object.

Finally, go to Dashboard 5.  I dragged "Third Text Box" back to its original location, and sized it the same as it was on Dashboard3.  Now it is floating, without impacting the other shape/position of the adjacent objects.  And with that, you can float something else below it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful