2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 6:34 AM by Eleonor Hellblom

MAT calculated fields

Dimitar Stoimchev

Hi,

I'm trying to created a calculated fields which contain my data grouped by MAT. I get dataset once quarterly and I have 20 quarters rolling. Now I'm using this syntax:

if

[TimePeriod]="20151001" or [TimePeriod]="20150701" or [TimePeriod]="20150401" or [TimePeriod]="20150101"

then [Sales]

else 0

end

It cuts only sales data for last 4 quarters (it's string field called 'TimePeriod'). My idea is somehow to put in this syntax index for TimePeriod and when I get Q1 '16 data, instead of replacing [TimePeriod]="20150101" with [TimePeriod]="20160101" manually, to have it automated. It will be really useful for me, because I can do this for all MATs. Something like:

LAST MAT:

if

[TimePeriod]="n" or [TimePeriod]="n-1" or [TimePeriod]="n-2" or [TimePeriod]="n-3"

then [Sales]

else 0

end

PREVIOUS MAT:

if

[TimePeriod]="n-4" or [TimePeriod]="n-5" or [TimePeriod]="n-6" or [TimePeriod]="n-7"

then [Sales]

else 0

end

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: MAT calculated fields
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Rather than doing this through string manipulation my suggestion is to use dates, for example creating a newTimePeriod field using:

DATEPARSE("YYYYMMdd", [TimePeriod])

If you have a LatestDate column in your data source then you can use that, otherwise you can build one using a FIXED Level of Detail expression:

{FIXED : MAX([TimePeriod])}

The column in the data source is preferable as it will be faster in Tableau.

Then there are a number of ways you can get LAST MAT and PREVIOUS MAT Sales, here's a way that works like what you described.

LAST MAT:

IF [newTimePeriod] >= DATEADD('year',-1,[LatestDate]) THEN [Sales] END

PREVIOUS MAT:

IF [newTimePeriod] >= DATEADD('year',-2,[LatestDate]) AND [newTimePeriod] < DATEADD('year',-1,[LatestDate]) THEN [Sales] END

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MAT calculated fields
            Eleonor Hellblom

Hi Jonathan,

Your answer helped me massively, however I am having some issues when I need to do a MAT on another calculated field, as there is then a conflict with aggregation and I haven't fully got my head around that.

I have the following calculation with a FIXED LOD:

(sum([Sales])

/

sum({ FIXED [Country], [Category], [Order Date] : sum([Sales])})

When putting that in the calculation you provided above I get this:

If you or anyone else could help me getting this calculation correct it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!