7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 2:07 PM by khalid norat

Tableau Desktop

NIlesh Shinde

I took Tableau server for 10 user in Amazon web services so Do I need to buy separate Desktop key?

All ready paid 5500$ for Server..

• 1. Re: Tableau Desktop
          khalid norat

Yes you will be required to purchase a desktop Key.

Tableau server and Tableau Desktop are 2 separate products requiring separate licencing.

The 10 users you have purchased is for Server meaning 10 users can view and interact with reports published on server.

You now need a desktop licence for any developers that will be creating and publishing reports

Hope this answers your question

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Desktop
            Mark Fraser

Hi Nilesh

Do you have a Tableau Account Manager? They should be able to advise you...

I ask, because I get the impression from your question that no one is advising you... I'll try and explain the main Tableau products

Desktop > is used to create content. its used to connect to the source data (multiple if needed), then to create vizes, dashoards etc.

Server

> is used to share and manage the created content, control security, refreshes and subscriptions.

In short, the smallest Tableau setup would be Desktop only.

Next step (to share) would be Desktop + Reader < the next cheapest option

Full deployment is Desktop + Server - you create the content (Desktop) and share with end users (Server). the number of end users determines number of licenses.

Hope that helps!

As mentioned, speak to sales or your account manager.

Cheers

Mark

• 3. Re: Tableau Desktop
              khalid norat

Hi Nilesh,

Although the information I gave you is correct and should be helpful.

I agree with Mark's comment. You should definitely be speaking to a representative that can advise you on what products you require for your reporting needs.

It might be possible to initialize your project with a lover financial outlay using minimal products/ licences and ramping up as an when required.

• 4. Re: Tableau Desktop
                Brad Clark

Hi Nilesh,

Mark and Khalid are correct. You'll need Desktop with Server. If you haven't already downloaded a trial of Desktop, I'd highly recommend doing so here:

Tableau Desktop | Tableau Software

In addition, once you've downloaded the trial and registered it, please message me with the registered email address. I can get you in touch with the appropriate account manager who can work with you and your deployment.

Cheers,

-BC

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau Desktop
                  khalid norat

Hi Brad on another note can you help in anyway getting my tableau public email authenticated. The site will just not let me log in or send me a authentication email

• 6. Re: Tableau Desktop
                    Brad Clark

Hi Khalid, I'd suggest the following forum page to help with the authentication question:

Tableau Public Frequently Asked Questions

If that doesn't resolve, I'd recommend posting up in the Forums specific to Public:

Tableau Public

An Adminstrator there should be able to help / point you in the right direction.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Tableau Desktop
                      khalid norat

Cheers Brad.

I tried option 2 already but no help.

Didn't check FAQS problem sorted your a gem.

Thanks