3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 12:40 AM by Sumit Sharma

Alert box in Tableau Report

Sumit Sharma

Hi All,

Is there a possibility for an alert box pop up to come up when a user clicks on a link (before the report loads) to say the report might take X seconds?

Thanks,
      Sumit

• 1. Re: Alert box in Tableau Report
          G Marc Turner

Hi Sumit,

If you are talking about clicking on a link from a web page prior to the Tableau report, I would suggest creating the alert box using Javascript on that page. To do this you would need to add an "OnClick" to the URL link. It would look something like this:

<a href="link to report" onClick='window.alert("Alert message.")'>Test link</a>

You would need to know in advance the estimated time it would take to load.

Hope this helps

-Marc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alert box in Tableau Report
            Nathan Panuco

I think you would be better served educating the users on performance expectations rather then putting up a message with a time estimate. Depending on size of the data, complexity of the workbook, if the data and workbook are cached, speed of the network and user load on the computer and many other factors, the load time will vary greatly for workbooks and would be difficult to accurately estimate.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Alert box in Tableau Report
              Sumit Sharma

Thanks Marc and Nathan. Unfortunately I don't have a web page where I can create the JS. I might try explaining the users and mostly include approx. load time to other reports from the main dashboard in the tooltips (I have one main dashboard and users can go to other dashboards by clicking on individual sheets).