5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 9:37 AM by Irfan Mohammed

Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"

Oli K

Hi all,

I get this error when publishing a Google Analytics workbook or data source with automated updating to Tableau Server, i.e. with embedded credentials.

Has anyone ever had this before - or maybe even a solution?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"
          Nathan Panuco

Hi Oli!

That could be a lot of things, that error is typically accompanied with a bit more info to further diagnose the source of the problem. This could be a networking, permissions, authentication or database issue. I have a few questions for you, to better identify the issue:

• What is the entire error message? A screenshot would be helpful
          • Has this ever worked? What are some recent changes?
          • What version of Tableau is being used?
          • Does this happen with only Google embedded passwords or also for SQL or another data source with embedded credentials?
          • Can you publish just the data source without the workbook? Is that successful?

Alternatively, you could also submit this information to Tableau Technical Support to open a case: http://www.tableau.com/support/request

• 2. Re: Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"
            Oli K

Hi Nathan,

Thanks a lot!

• What is the entire error message? A screenshot would be helpful

I know this isn't very helpful, and I would have liked a few more details myself - however this is literally the entire error message I'm afraid. No more details at all.

• Has this ever worked? What are some recent changes?

No - first time we're trying GA. Worth noting that the update works just fine when run from Tableau Desktop, it's just the publishing to Tableau Server that doesn't work.

• What version of Tableau is being used?

9.3 on both Server and Desktop.

• Does this happen with only Google embedded passwords or also for SQL or another data source with embedded credentials?

SQL works perfectly fine and the dashboards have been auto-updating for months without any problems.

To be honest - no idea! All I know is that we're not paying for GA. I always assumed if it's working locally it should also be working when published to the server. If you think this is the issue I'll give this a read.

• Can you publish just the data source without the workbook? Is that successful?

Tried that - exact same error. Workbook without the data source and without embedded login information works (obviously), but that's clearly of no use here.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you

Oli

• 3. Re: Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"
              Nathan Panuco

Hi Oli!

Given that the data source by itself won't publish, there seems to be something strange going on during that action pointing to the data source as the issue. OAuth could potentially be a factor, but if it isn't set up on Tableau Server, the typical result is only being unable to edit the connection via Tableau Server, it wouldn't prohibit the data source from being published so I don't know it is worth the work at this point to set up OAuth (see screenshot of my own server with a Google Analytics data source without OAuth set up that demonstrates the "edit connection" disabled)

I think it might be time for a case with Tech Support. Be sure to provide all of the information above and include a screenshot (even though it doesn't contain anything else, it could still have some useful visuals). I've searched our knowledge base and cannot find an this error related to publishing a Google Analytics data source so the team may want to investigate logs during the time frame the data source was being published. When selecting a product for the new case, select Tableau Server. Even though this issue presents itself in Tableau Desktop, the Tableau Server team would be the one to investigate issues related to publishing. Submit a case to our support team | Tableau Software

Thanks and hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"
                saipraveen.bolla

@ OLI K

Did you find a solution for this issue ? We are also having the exact same issue.

• 5. Re: Google Analytics - "Internal Server Error: DataSourceException"
                  Irfan Mohammed

Dear Oli

I am also facing the same issue. Were you able to resolve this? Would appreciate if you can provide a solution.

Thanks